Topics required to be put in the T25 Tech Wikipedia

Technical questions & answers only, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
Technical questions & answers only. Please try to search the Wiki or Tech Archive first.
silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Topics required to be put in the T25 Tech Wikipedia

Post by silverbullet »

Sort-of-useful for the engineers and anoraks out there (me on both counts):

An article on T3's in a wind tunnel and aerodynamic offshoots. I haven't found this info in the wiki just yet but if it's there then it's well hidden!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... ght=visual" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can we just copy the pic and skip the blahblah, other than the useful bits?

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Do we need a Brake Disc replacment How-To?
Mine were replaced the other week and I have a shed load of photos.
I could put together a How-To (with some caveats).
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Syncro fuel sender please. I'm sick of running out of petrol on red-routes
Ahem! This is really for topics that already exist to be transferred to Wiki or for material supplied (> by you <) to be uploaded into the Wiki...

Unless there is something on this already somewhere?

I could do a bit for Syncros, no idea about the tin-tanked variety though

:)
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Can we get this post I made on upgrading round headlights to square added to the wiki please?

Someone somewhere has the lottery funds to buy all the square lights off ebay so it may be useful to someone

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 6#p7428246" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are attached images to go with the write-up too :ok

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Alternative steering wheel thread.....good for those with power steering otherwise the steering will be far too heavy.
Down sides are the smaller wheel does partially restrict the speedo view but they do look cool and function well with the mod as described
Details of the popular MK1 Golf GTI wheel and raising switch gear to get the self cancel to work.
See:
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=86581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Arh........looks like my pics have already been used :shock:

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Yes, those are good pics and a very good guide - to be put in the Wiki then :ok

Alternative steering wheel thread.....good for those with power steering otherwise the steering will be far too heavy.

but I think you have misquoted yourself there somehow? :roll: What are you sayimg may be making the steering too heavy, not changing the steering wheel to a smaller one ?

Syncronaut No. 1

mm289
80-90 Mem No: 9111

Post by mm289 »

Not sure if this is Wiki'able as it is a long thread, but this is my wbx water seal/gasket and head rebuild. If you do want to use it and need some help abbreviating it let me know.

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=87097

Cheers,

MM
'89 Autosleeper Trident
2.1 DJ
Member 9111

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

HarryMann wrote:Yes, those are good pics and a very good guide - to be put in the Wiki then :ok

but I think you have misquoted yourself there somehow? :roll: What are you sayimg may be making the steering too heavy, not changing the steering wheel to a smaller one ?

HarryMan, no miss quote......As a MK1 steering wheel is smaller than the original it has less leverage. I would only recommend the swap to this wheel if the van has power steering or the driver felt the increased steering wheel effort wouldn't be a problem for them.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Ah, cheers, I read it the other way a round, OOps!

Syncronaut No. 1

Cruz

Post by Cruz »

Harryman I have written up a guide for converting round headlights to square below. The pictures will need adding to the wiki too as I cannot guarantee the links will continue to work forever.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONVERT ROUND HEADLIGHT TO SQUARE

Converting round candle lights to modern and cool looking square lights is pretty straight forward. I did mine the other week in about an hour.

Firstly I bought the correct lower mounting brackets (seen in the next picture below) from VW 255-853-647 x 2
(Now available again from http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/shop?page=s ... gory_id=57" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Firstly to fit the square light units you need to gently bend back the two outer mountings on the Van with a hide mallet or something. Not quite 90 degrees back should do it (that way you can bend them back if you ever go back to round headlights). They get in the way of the square light assemblies and you don't need them for the square grill as the grill fixes to the square light units.
SEE PICTURES BELOW

Next you need to drill holes to take the new headlights. (reference picture below)

Firstly screw the mounting bracket you got from Brickwerks to the headlight unit. They go on the lower inner corners.
Now attatch the square headlights to the van using the two existing outer screw holes from the round light setup.
Then drill the holes for the mounting bracket and the lower inner fixing point on the other side

Screw the mounting tabs to the body (I used rivets but the brickwerks kit comes with sefl tapping screws). Again watch the paintwork.

Now I am assuming you got the wiring loom pigtails with the headlights?

Leave your existing side light wires alone you can use these

Snip off your existing headlight connectors about 3 inches back from the plastic connector block

Now solder and heat-shrink the wiring looms you got with the square headlights to your existing loom matching up the wire colours on each side. Ignore the side light block on the loom. Tie wrap this up neatly out of the way and maybe tape up the socket to prevent any water getting in.

Fit headlights to body remembering to plug them in first.

Attach the square grill

Stand back and admire your new modern lights

Take van to local MOT tester to get the light beams checked/adjusted

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Added Cruz: http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/VW ... _To_Square" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Many thanks

Will try to do a few others to ease the backlog we sometimes get. Agree on waterjacket explanation - tis a good one so that will be in shortly too. Its rather easy to destroy the WIKI which is why only a few do it. Just bear with us and they will all appear in time.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Thankyou Ralph, much appreciated; have been getting behind (being a laggard), with one or two excuses as always :wink:

Hope you don't mind if I cast my eye over and do an final tidying/edits, cheers!

Syncronaut No. 1

ja9allen
80-90 Mem No: 8244

Post by ja9allen »

In the Garage General Section -

Suffolk - Coltec racing engines.

Richard Coles
The Garage
The Street
Hollesley
Woodbridge
Suffolk IP12 3QU
Tel: 01394 410284
Fax:
http://www.coltecracing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Email: richard @ coltecracing.com

Our waterpump went on our 1.9 DG engine when we were on holiday here :( and Richard did a great job of replacing it :D . We were lucky we happened to be staying on a lovely campsite 5 mins from his garage as he was probably the only mechanic in the area that would replace the pump and it saved us a tow home. Really nice chap too.

Janine.
Kenny the Camper
1984 1.9 DG Petrol

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Syncronaut No. 1

Cruz

Post by Cruz »

Steering Column Bushes and Steering Coupling

Over time the rubber tophat steering column bushes (the area where the column splits in an accident) become oval giving excess play in the steering without anything happening at the wheels. Not good in winds.

Here is a sad video I made http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a37rRKQo0fk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also the safety coupling at the base of the steering column can also degrade (there is one under the van too) and you can end up with no steering. See mine in the picture below!!

Steering column bushes available from JK http://www.justkampers.com/shop/steerin ... 10271.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/b ... 3-all.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Coupling from Brickwerks http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/r ... iltis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have attached some images

First is the new bushes (2 per van) and coupling
Second is where they fit on the van
Third is the old knackered coupling I removed

It's pretty straight forward thing to fix. Just make sure you mark the positions on the spline when dismantling the column so you get it back in the same place.
Attachments
DSCF0367.jpg
DSCF0367.jpg (39.56 KiB) Viewed 63446 times
DSCF0368.jpg
DSCF0368.jpg (50.29 KiB) Viewed 63446 times
DSCF0385.jpg
DSCF0385.jpg (40.5 KiB) Viewed 63446 times
Last edited by Cruz on 12 Sep 2013, 09:47, edited 3 times in total.