relay delay

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

stagg65
80-90 Mem No: 9915

relay delay

Post by stagg65 »

I was reading the thread on the guy who put an AEF diesel engine in his camper and part of the conversion involved him adding an extra relay for the glow plugs.
What he was saying is that after cranking the glow plugs go off but with the relay delay they stay on for 20 seconds aiding the cold running engine.
Well i have an AEF conversion but i only have the standard glow plug relay.
The question is should i have the extra relay for winter starting.
Haven't tried it yet but im going to get a friend to start my bus and at the same time im going to hold a wire on number four glow plug and the other on the live terminal of the battery, this should make the glow pulgs stay on after cranking.

kev mc

Re: relay delay

Post by kev mc »

i have an AEF engine which i fitted, i used the og wiring from the 1.6d and all is fine. allbeit i do live in tropical east kent :D

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

Hi Stagg65

A bit of clarification needed here. I suspect it's my thread you've been reading, and that's not quite what it said.

The original glowplug relay is used, but to help with HOT starting, a 470 or 600ohm resistor is added to the sensor wire to provide a short glow even when hot. If your engine starts OK after you've filled up with fuel and the engine's warm, you may not need this (or your timing may be too far advanced).

The extra delay relay was to operate the injection advance solenoid (not the glowplugs) to solve the problem of white smoke after a freezing COLD start. Again, if your van starts OK when freezing cold it's not absolutely neccessary, but I don't like the embarassment of driving off in a big cloud of white smoke. You could also operate this manually with a switch at the dashboard, but you'll need to run an extra wire to a push switch at the front.

There is a temptation to over advance the injection timing to solve both these issues, but that just results in a clattery engine with poorer performance. (I tried that originally)

Hope this helps.

Colin
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

I've just re-read your other post complaining of rough running from cold. The advance solenoid is there exactly for this issue. Try connecting the grey/yellow wire from one of the solenoids to the +12volt and then starting from cold. It should splutter just the once, then run OK.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

stagg65

Post by stagg65 »

Hi Colin Thank for trying to help with my AEF engine, but i think my diesel pump is quite old because it doesn't have an advance solenoid on it just the extra cable on the bottom.
Any hoo an up date on my sick engine , it is running too advanced at the mo , but my garage are going to fit a new cam belt then time it up.
It clatters quite a bit hopefully that will stop.
Still firing up on three in this cold weather but held a wire on number four glow plug and other on the battery and it clears and holds its own.
This is while engine is running not cranking so helping it along.
Ive tried using the choke advance but just makes it clatter more.

stagg65

Post by stagg65 »

colinthefox wrote:I've just re-read your other post complaining of rough running from cold. The advance solenoid is there exactly for this issue. Try connecting the grey/yellow wire from one of the solenoids to the +12volt and then starting from cold. It should splutter just the once, then run OK.
Hi Colin if you go to one of my threads titled (same old story ) there are some pics of my diesel pump, cheers.