Is my engine broken

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

stagg65
80-90 Mem No: 9915

Is my engine broken

Post by stagg65 »

Drove my t25 1.9 d into my garage fine.
started it up the other day smoked like a bugger for the first 5 minutes running on three cylinders then clears and runs fine no smoke at all.
The thing is ive noticed water leaking from below the alternator bracket near thermostat housing.
Its only a dribble but is there any way that water is getting into number one cylinder causing the smoke when cold.
I put four new glow plugs in today and relay so not that.
My engine is out of a 1.9l non turbo mk3 golf (1987)
any ideas would be gratefully received. :?

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Is my engine broken

Post by CovKid »

In my experience, thermostat housings can develop small holes after many many years use. Not saying it is that, but a distinct possibility.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

futbus
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1266

Post by futbus »

Sounds like it could be from the water pump, but still dont understand why this would affect the running and smoke. What colour is the smoke? if white then it will be water, anything else could be injectors, rings or valve seals.

stagg65

Post by stagg65 »

futbus wrote:Sounds like it could be from the water pump, but still dont understand why this would affect the running and smoke. What colour is the smoke? if white then it will be water, anything else could be injectors, rings or valve seals.
the smoke is blue and lots of it but if i rev it a few times it clears and the faulty cylinder cuts in and all is well again.
I know its screaming glow plugs but they are all fine, i even had a spare which i rigged up to number one glow plug with ignition on and glow red hot.
I know the timing is out because of the diesel chatter im getting.
But when i drove my bus into the garage two months ago it ran fine and started with no probs

futbus
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1266

Post by futbus »

That would be a lazy injector. Get them Pot tested and one maybe siezed due to lack of use.

stagg65

Post by stagg65 »

futbus wrote:That would be a lazy injector. Get them Pot tested and one maybe siezed due to lack of use.
Cool ill get that checked when i take it in for the timing :ok