AEF Engine

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

supergalaxy
80-90 Mem No: 9248

AEF Engine

Post by supergalaxy »

I have the chance to obtain an AEF 1.9 Diesel engine in a 1997 Polo. I currently have a KY 1.7 Engine and am planning to get an engine swap ready for when/if the 1.7 gives up the ghost. I would prefer a 1Y engine as I understand that quite a few bits from the KY will fit the 1Y.

Any advice on what bits from the KY will fit the AEF would be appreciated, I don't see much on this subject in the Wiki.

Has anyone done this conversion before, is it worth it for the power difference or is the 1Y still the best bet

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Re: AEF Engine

Post by jamesc76 »

try alternate engines section!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

Yes, this should be in the alternative engines section, but anyway........

The AEF engine is similar in many ways to the 1Y, but with differences in detail. It is a good conversion, and is a relatively straightforward job, as these things go. Mine has proved reliable and a pleasure to drive after the old 1.6, due to much improved torque. Power output is identical to the 1Y. You can retain your existing gearbox.

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/16cs- ... KW=#413096 is a step by step guide to the conversion. Once you have read it, if you have any specific queries, I'll have a go at answering.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

supergalaxy
80-90 Mem No: 9248

Post by supergalaxy »

Thanks for those replies, I realised as soon as I'd posted that it should be in the alternative engines section. Thanks for moving it.

Could you tell me are all AEF engines throttle cable operated or are just some of them fly-by-wire.

The Polo I have been offered is a 1997/1998 vintage but I have'nt actually seen it as it is quite a distance away with no MOT and some kind of gearbox fault therefore I will need to trailer it home. I am assured that the engine is good.

If it is fly-by-wire does that mean it is no good to me, I don't want to go to the trouble/expense of getting it home on a trailer if the whole idea is a dead duck.

windysurfer
80-90 Mem No: 3805

Post by windysurfer »

AEF is cable operated :ok
If Carlsberg made Coachbuilts...........Image T4 Karmann Colorado