Turbo Diesel engine identity?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jes*b
80-90 Mem No: 10335

Turbo Diesel engine identity?

Post by jes*b »

Have had 2 diesel engines donated to the cause today. An AHU of unknown pedigree and this lump from a well looked after passat i think it was a b3 but could possibly have been b4 but less likely. Engine was serviced every year and had very little use. There was no code sticker on the fan housing? Say Turbo Diesel on top cover - any ideas from these pics? not the best view as its stuffed in a shed at mo. wondering if its worth bothering about? cheers jes

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Re: Turbo Diesel engine identity?

Post by ..lee.. »

looks like AAZ to me.
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Pump head looks roughly the same as mine, but the cam cover on mine fixes down the centre, that one looks it fixes on the sides. Could it be a 1.6td? What are they called? SB or something like that
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

AHU is same block as AFN (110BHP). But has different injectors, fuel pump and turbo.

No idea what the other is.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

jes*b

Post by jes*b »

Cheers guys. I thought AAZ ( would be an early one), pretty sure it's 1.9. Poss TD , could be the same as the TD in my T4, will check tomorrow if it's not floated away. Will probably stick them both away for another day. Etdi is the future I'm hearing :wink:

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

jes*b wrote:Cheers guys. I thought AAZ ( would be an early one), pretty sure it's 1.9. Poss TD , could be the same as the TD in my T4, will check tomorrow if it's not floated away. Will probably stick them both away for another day. Etdi is the future I'm hearing :wink:

The AHU is the way forward for ETDI.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

jes*b

Post by jes*b »

I'm looking and want to go etdi if i dont bottle it and go manual . Dont think that ahu offered will be a sensible choice - its a freebie but I've no way of confirming its condition before it came out of the motor. Might be a can of worms for a novice. Im going to have enough on my plate I fear.

v-lux
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2951

Post by v-lux »

I'm not sure thats an AAZ, looks more like it might be an SB to me.

I've not seen an AAZ with that Alternator set up and the rocker cover looks as if it got the similar shape to the JX, with the extra bit for the mushroom oil breather thingy.

Looks like it been in a T25 though, as the accelerator pedal bracket is on upside down.

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

The belt set up isnt AAZ, or at least not like any AAZ set up I have ever seen.

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

wheeliepete
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by wheeliepete »

think thats a sb or gtd engine judging by the lda on the pump-difficult to install as is-easier with jx sump,turbo and manifolds

futbus
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1266

Post by futbus »

The engine is not a 1.9 as the head is not the same as they have a 3 bolt fixing down the center. The 1.6 has the bolts around the edge of the rocker as the one in the pics. The pump looks like 1.6td SB engine fitted to passat and golf Gtd.

Unless it`s really cheap and you really want a 1.6, but check what the casting has on the side of the block.

jes*b

Post by jes*b »

All good info guys thanks. Nice confirmation work Dave. Shall pass on the 1.6 passat although it is a well look after lump. It's not for me. Has saved me lugging it home . Will pick up the ahu for parts tho. You never know. Cheers