1y engine oil level

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

serenitycamper
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 10458

1y engine oil level

Post by serenitycamper »

Hey peeps,

I have a 1y engine in my bus but i dont think the dipstick is the correct item. On the dipstick that is next to the fuel pump (red handle) i dont have an oil reading at all, but on the actually oil filler dipstick i have a reading of between min and max. D i have enough oil in the old girl?

:|
1988 1.9 DG T3 'Serenity'
our blog - http://www.serenitycamper.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: 1y engine oil level

Post by kevtherev »

Take it out and refill with the correct amount then you'll be sure
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

serenitycamper
Trader

Post by serenitycamper »

Good idea! Ill be doing that over the weekend then! :ok
our blog - http://www.serenitycamper.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

Post by kit »

You need your old dipstick the 1y is not long enough to reach the sump.
1y Tin top rust collector.

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

From my understanding 1Y blocks (some/all, not sure) have the dipstick tube on the wrong side so have to be blanked and then drilled on the oposite side...something like that, (for T25 conversion)
What you need is a 'reference point'.....drain (warm) including oil filter, refill with exactly 4.5litres of oil on a perfectly flat surface.
Run for one minute, stop engine, stand for one minute, dip oil....there is you max level 'MARK'
Now if you wanted a MINIMUM mark as well you could drain off say 750ml (put excess back) run and stop the same, MARK min. Make sure the marks are clear on the dipstick and you know what they mean.
Remember...overfilling can be as bad as underfilling
Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

serenitycamper
Trader

Post by serenitycamper »

Thank you very much for that information :ok

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

California Dreamin wrote:From my understanding 1Y blocks (some/all, not sure) have the dipstick tube on the wrong side so have to be blanked and then drilled on the oposite side...something like that, (for T25 conversion)
What you need is a 'reference point'.....drain (warm) including oil filter, refill with exactly 4.5litres of oil on a perfectly flat surface.
Run for one minute, stop engine, stand for one minute, dip oil....there is you max level 'MARK'
Now if you wanted a MINIMUM mark as well you could drain off say 750ml (put excess back) run and stop the same, MARK min. Make sure the marks are clear on the dipstick and you know what they mean.
Remember...overfilling can be as bad as underfilling
Martin

Not quite Martin - thats a different engine (AHU?) - all 1Y's have the dipstick on the corrects side.

As stated earlier, the dipstick isnt long enough. If you dont have the original dipstick and tube then you can use a length of thick wire (i used a welding rod) to use as a reference regarding oil level.

Its 4.5 litres with an oil filter change and 4 litres without a oil filter change - don't forget that or you could end up overfilling!

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

serenitycamper
Trader

Post by serenitycamper »

So what is the dipstick on the oil filler lid for?

California Dreamin

Strange Ringo....this was the exact answer I got when I had a 1Y 1.9 Polo for sale a few months ago.
The car had only done 50K and ran as sweet as a nut, when it came to selling it I thought it would make a good engine donor but was told 'on here' that the dipstick was on the wrong side and would need blanking/re-drilling....I even seem to remember diagrams and measurements for the new tube location being posted....so that was all rubbish? or have some 1Y's got the dipstick on the other side?

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

California Dreamin

signaturecustoms wrote:So what is the dipstick on the oil filler lid for?
not sure what you are asking?

Because you have a different sump and the engine orientation is slightly different the 'oil level' using either of the dipsticks will be incorrect (the old markings will not be accurate)
Follow suggested proceedure and remark the dipstick...assuming it is long enough (it may need a different dipstick)

The common issue is using the 1Y dipstick markings and then filling to those marks...basically over filling the engine by some margin with resultant problems.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

serenitycamper
Trader

Post by serenitycamper »

What I'm confused about is that there is a dipstick within the oil filler neck, attached to the cap. Is this the original dipstick from the JX?

There is also the red topped dipstick to the right of the pump and I'm guessing that's the 1Y dipstick?

ringo

Post by ringo »

signaturecustoms wrote:What I'm confused about is that there is a dipstick within the oil filler neck, attached to the cap. Is this the original dipstick from the JX?

There is also the red topped dipstick to the right of the pump and I'm guessing that's the 1Y dipstick?

Im confused too!!! Not sure you originally had a JX - if so you would hope its turbo'd - anyhow, thats another issue....

Never seen one in the oil filler neck - but i guess that could be an original or a modification by the previous owner. Does that register any level on it?

The red topped dipstick is the original 1Y one. This is used when the engine is in its original position (upright and not slanted like the T25 engine position) and the original flat sump is used (and not the angled T25 diesel sump you should have fitted). Because the engine is not positioned at an angle, the dipstick will never touch the oil so is useless except it stops oil pissing out the dipstick holder.

HTH's

Ringo

ringo

Post by ringo »

California Dreamin wrote:Strange Ringo....this was the exact answer I got when I had a 1Y 1.9 Polo for sale a few months ago.
The car had only done 50K and ran as sweet as a nut, when it came to selling it I thought it would make a good engine donor but was told 'on here' that the dipstick was on the wrong side and would need blanking/re-drilling....I even seem to remember diagrams and measurements for the new tube location being posted....so that was all rubbish? or have some 1Y's got the dipstick on the other side?

Martin

Well, i've been wrong before :D

I think its more likely it wasnt a 1Y engine in the polo but a AHU.

Anyway, thats not the problem here....

Ringo

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

aef in the polo's
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

ringo

Post by ringo »

Thanks Dave - AEF!!!

Ringo