AAZ two piece diesel injection pump sprocket.

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Iridium
80-90 Mem No: 8990

AAZ two piece diesel injection pump sprocket.

Post by Iridium »

Hi there,

would like some advice on how to use the two part diesel injection pump sprocket to adjust the timing on my AAZ.

Passat Haynes manual has no specific info about later sprocket adjustment but just early engine one piece sprocket by moving the injection pump.

I've set all the timing parameters and all is correct but I wont loosen the injector pump sprocket outer bolts until I can be sure I know what I'm doing.

Wondering if anyone could explain how loosening & moving the sprocket works and what to do if it's needed.

I'm checking the timing because the van failed mot on white/blue smoke. This is my first port of call to sort out the smoke. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Sean.
1984 Camper Tin top DG
1991 Syncro Panel AAZ td

v-lux
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2951

Re: AAZ two piece diesel injection pump sprocket.

Post by v-lux »

Mark the pulley where it is at the moment.
Undo the bolts and carefully turn the pulley clockwise, only fractionally, like less than 1mm from your markings. (clockwise will give you advance, which is what it sounds like you need)

Tighten bolts and run the engine with new setting.

Repeat until satisfied. :ok

Iridium

Post by Iridium »

Many thanks v-lux, will give it a go tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. :ok
1984 Camper Tin top DG
1991 Syncro Panel AAZ td

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Believe Dave Futbus has experience of finding the orginal datum, with this system (which is the problem usually)... as Al, says make a very good accurate mark before moving anything
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

Iridium

Post by Iridium »

Adjusting the position of the two part sprocket turned out to be 'simples' in the end. Thanks for all advice given prior to job.

By turning the sprocket's centre bolt, the dti needle moved and I then set it to the recommended value.

One problem though, still have white/blue smoke. Gonna move onto next solution.
1984 Camper Tin top DG
1991 Syncro Panel AAZ td

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

White can be water... gasket etc

Are you sure the timing is now spot on (0.9mm ; 1.00mm or ??mm)

Is there a cold-start mechanism (which on the AAZ can advance the timing, so setting, make sure is off)

Syncronaut No. 1

v-lux
Trader

Post by v-lux »

As it's so easy to adjust the timing with the two piece sprocket I'd try giving it a bit more advance past the recommended setting, if the pump is old and worn the original specs might not be bob on. Gotta be worth a try.

Does the smoke smell like diesel? Or oil?

Turbo could be a suspect if blueish smoke....

Iridium

Post by Iridium »

Thanks for the replies v-lux and Harryman, been away from spanners for a week.
#
Checked the van and it isn't losing water and the oil is uncontaminated, so I'm gonna rule out a head gasket problem.

I set the timing to 0.9mm.

But, the cold start mechanism I found was permanently set to an unknown setting by the last owner using the adjusting screws. The cold start is not connected to the dash and not operated by the solenoid. So I will have to check timing again with cold start fully off.

The van is a recent purchase and I'm still finding these unusual bodges.

Will try advancing the timing when all's eliminated, the engine has an unknown mileage and you're right, the diesel pump may be worn.

One thing I discovered when changing the oil and filter is that 5 litres drained out plus the filter oil. This is too much cos 4.3 litres is the right amount including filter. The dipstick doesn't reach the oil when the correct amount is put in, so overfilling has been going on for however long by the previous owners.

The smoke smells of oil and the exhaust drips oil when left running for a while. Also, I took off the rubber connector from inlet manifold to the turbo and had look down the turbo. Whilst revving the engine oil comes out at speed. This I'm assuming ain't good.

Is this a new turbo or a cheaper fix of some sort.

Regards,

Sean.
1984 Camper Tin top DG
1991 Syncro Panel AAZ td

v-lux
Trader

Post by v-lux »

I reckon you've diagnosed the smoke issue there. That's definitely too much oil. They do tend to smoke if they are over filled.

Get the correct amount of oil back in there and give it a try, you might just find it settles down.

As Harrymann has said, make sure that cold start is off when you are doing the timing. But i'd see what happens with the oil situation before fiddling with the timing again.

:ok

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

The dipstick doesn't reach the oil when the correct amount is put in, so overfilling has been going on for however long by the previous owners.

Correct, some dipstick has ignored the re-calibration of the dipstick... what a dipstick :roll:

Look here in our Wikipedia for a typical fix, there are others but using this method it will at least get intot he oil. I did this method and my correct level is now on the lower mark of the dipstick

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Al ... stick_Mods

Agree with Al, don't start worrying about turbos till you've cleaned it out for a good few miles with just 4.5 litres in, max ...

If it continues, maybe put up video of this smoke that is worrying you

Syncronaut No. 1

Iridium

Post by Iridium »

Again many thanks to both Harryman and v-lux, will sort out the dipstick, not the bloke who fitted the engine, oh the irony.

Will give the engine an Italian tune-up and take it out for a run with the correct oil level.

The van smoke has always been negligible, although not in the eyes of the local mot garage. It failed on this prob alone three weeks ago, hence the forum posts.

I thought diesels smoked slightly, but no, so I've got to sort it out. On tick over it's fine, but puffy on revving and smells like a 1970's garage.

Regards,

Sean. :ok
1984 Camper Tin top DG
1991 Syncro Panel AAZ td

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

A 1970's garage used to smell of a different type of smoke! :pimp :pimp :pimp
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

1970's garages - Hehehhe, very smokeeee :|

I thought diesels smoked slightly, but no,

Oh yes, older diesels, just slightly, sometimes quite a bit. Usually a new turbo sorts it, but check those oil levles are exact first

Syncronaut No. 1