wiring in a diesel loom

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tonysbus
80-90 Mem No: 525

wiring in a diesel loom

Post by tonysbus »

Could someone who has gone from a petrol to diesel please help and tell me how to wire in the loom at both ends please. I've installed a 1.6td and have the loom to match. Oh idiots guide please :ok

Many thanks Tony

tonysbus

Re: wiring in a diesel loom

Post by tonysbus »

Hi guys i'm still desperate for some help on this please.

Thanks Tony :?
Last edited by tonysbus on 07 Dec 2011, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

tony have you got the wiring diagram for the petrol at least ?
iirc there's only like 4 or 5 terminals on a TD loom but I don't have one I can check against

ewenmaclean
80-90 Mem No: 7306

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

I don't have anything with me here, so I'd have to do it from memory, but if you tell me the colours, I can probably remember where they go - e.g.
white/black - fuel shut off solenoid,
yellow - high revs oil pressure,
blue/black - low revs oil pressure -
red/yellow - temp gauge,
white/blue - glow plug relay temperature pin
white/red - starter signal to glow plug relay (?)
glow plug warning light - can't remember...
blue - alternator exciter wire
green - alternator w pin (I think)

er... what else have I forgotten...

for the other end it's about the 14 pin mulitconnector - plenty of posts on here about what pins go where for that...

Ewen

tonysbus

Post by tonysbus »

Hi Aiden i do have a haynes somewhere like Ewan has said theres not much to it but i dont want to get it wrong especially at the fuse box end.Ewan said there are lots of posts on where the pins go but i couldn't find any,Anyway Aiden hows your move going hope things are ok .

Thanks Guys :ok

ewenmaclean

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

Pin 1 Panel Lights
Pin 2 Main beam Light
Pin 3 Earth
Pin 4 N/C (not Connected)
Pin 5 Clock
Pin 6 Temp Gauge
Pin 7 Fuel Gauge
Pin 8 12V ignition feed
pin 9 RPM Tach0 Signal (from Alternator on Diesel Models)
Pin 10 Turn Indicator LED
Pin 11 Alternator Charge LED
Pin 12 Oil Pressure Switch High
Pin 13 Oil Pressure Switch Low Bar
Pin 14 Glow Plug LED

that's for the multiconnector - what bits are you wanting to wire up to the fuse box? You sorted engine end?

Ewen

tonysbus

Post by tonysbus »

Hi Ewen ive only got the loom in the engine bay and from that to the fuse box as for the dash side i was just going to leave that and stick with the petrol dash and just give the glow plugs 7-10 seconds, I haven't touched any of it yet what i will try n do is take a picture of both ends and list the colours at the pins and we can take it from there mate thanks for taking the time to help,

Tony :ok :ok

ewenmaclean

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

Sorry wasn't paying attention wrt petrol to diesel conversion and am being a bit dopey... have you wired in everything to the engine bay?

If not - you'll want to splice the fuel- shut-off solenoid to the ignition, and get a good solid feed from the battery to the glow plug relay (pin 30) and then on to the glow plugs (pin 87). For the relay you'll need the white/blue wire from a temperature sensor near the head (depends a bit on what type you have) to go to the T pin, get a cheap buzzer and wire that to the L pin, and you'll need to splice the start signal to the solenoid for the 50 pin. Then an ignition to pin 86, and an earth to 85.

Then the yellow/red temperature sensor wire goes to the instrument cluster, as does the blue wire, green wire from the alternator W pin, blue/black wire from oil pressure low revs, yellow wire from oil pressure high revs, and er.... I think that's about it. You should find that in the black box in the engine bay all those wires are already there and ready to be spliced - I don't think you need to worry about the fuse box - the power for all the leds comes from pin 8 - which isn't fused according to my Haynes.

Depending on your van you might not have the high revs oil pressure system from the previous petrol installation so forget the yellow wire. Have a look in the black box at the back of the engine bay and see what you can find in there :-) I reckon you might find enough to make it all work and splice it together. All you need to get it going really is ignition power to the shut off solenoid, and since it's cold at the moment, power to the glow plugs probably. I think on the JX there's also a relay to circulate the coolant after the engine's shut off, but I don't have a diagram for that I'm afraid - think it's just a timed relay thing.

Ewen

tonysbus

Post by tonysbus »

Ok Ewen i think were gettin a bit lost To start with my van was a 1.9dg petrol i have now installed a 1.6td JX i also have the td wiring loom so want to wire it in as it should be, the only bit of the loom i dont have is the loom from fuse box to the instrument panel but as i say i'm not bothered about it. I know i could of split my petrol loom but i would like it to be as near to factory fit as possible so as far the engine bay all is factory diesel with the glow plug relay in the black box.

Tony :ok

ewenmaclean

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

sorry for misunderstanding. So you want to know where all the lights etc... go from the fuse box to the back of the van and wire all that in properly? If so you want wiring colours for the lights and the positions within the back of the fuse box? Is it a late fuse box? I can tell you all that if it helps

Sorry for being a bit slow

Ewen

tonysbus

Post by tonysbus »

Hi Ewen right from the black box in the back the loom goes to the fuse box i want to no what position the plug goes into the fuse box, the lights aren't an issue.Sorry its a 1988 van.

Thanks Tony

tonysbus

Post by tonysbus »

Help please i'm off shift for the next few days so would like to crack on with this. :(

Tony

ewenmaclean

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hi Tony,

if you look here:

http://www.club80-90.co.uk/pages/downlo ... eneral.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you'll see at each section before it tells you the pictures and positions of the connections in the fuse box - e.g. look at page 146

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/VW ... s_fuse_box" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

at the top of each page just under the relay plate and fuse box area, as each track joins there, there is a designation - e.g. the rear light on the right hand side, goes through the 6th pin of the multiconnector in the black box, and onto pin 18 of the E connector in the fuse box.

I think if your lights are sorted, then you want to concentrate on the multiconnectors in the black box T7a and T3:

T7a/1: Blue/black - goes to low revs oil pressure switch - D21
T7a/2: Yellow red wire - coolant gauge temperature sender - D29
T7a/3: Blue/Green wire - coolant shortage indicator - K5
T7a/4: earth (brown for temp gauge and coolant shortage) - also goes to T7/7 (other multiconnector)
T7a/5: green - goes to E12 and from alternator W pin
T7a/6: red/black - goes to E4 - then onto the 50 pin of the gp relay - starter signal
T7a/7: Yellow - goes to high revs oil pressure switch E15

The other connector in there is T3 - a three pin one, with this designation:

T3/1: blue from alternator exciter wire to E13
T3/2: white/red from the L pin on the gp relay goes to E10
T3/3: black from 15 track - connector D15 - goes to 86 pin of gp relay (and splice to shut off solenoid I think)

hope this helps a bit

Ewen

tonysbus

Post by tonysbus »

Thanks Ewen i think i'm getting there now with your help. :ok

Tony

ewenmaclean

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hi Tony,

glad to hear you're making progress - was that the bit of the loom you were talking about then?

Hope it's going well

Ewen