diesel thermostat housing leak

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ewenmaclean
80-90 Mem No: 7306

diesel thermostat housing leak

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

have searched but not found a similar problem - apologies if this has been discussed lots before.

I've replaced the thermostat and water pump on my tdi - much the same as for any other diesel. The problem I have is a slow leak coming from the thermostat cover - I replaced the o-ring and everything's in the right way.

I don't want to put hylomar all over it as it'll break off and end up in the cooling system - no sure if a new cover would solve the problem. Does anyone have any tips on how to stop this slow leak? Any advice or help much appreciated.

Ewen

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: diesel thermostat housing leak

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I may have the answer or I may not - I have just had exactly the same problem. (After a nice refreshment of the anti-freeze of course)
Firstly the new o-ring that was supposed to fit was slightly loose on the flange - different o-ring sorted that.... but still a weepage was evident.
Next, closer examination of the thermostat housing revealed that the flange had become oval..... new housing used and problem solved.
It appears that the plastic can become deformed with the heat thus creating a weakness in the o-rings seal. I am reasonably confident that you have exactly the same problem.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

ewenmaclean

Post by ewenmaclean »

Thanks a lot for the reply - just what I wanted to hear! The old cover doesn't sit perfectly flat on the water pump housing so I suspect deformation, but wasn't sure - so good to know you suspect the same. First time I've had this problem - will replace the cover and report back - will also get an oring just in case....

Thanks again

pauly8888
80-90 Mem No: 8723

Post by pauly8888 »

My thermostat housing was also deformed. Not obvious at first sight, but when placed on a flat surface it 'wobbled' quite a bit! The 'o' ring was squashed almost flat too.

ewenmaclean

Post by ewenmaclean »

thanks - mine's got that wobble - good to get confidence that's what the problem is... I'll report back when new one's fitted to confirm that is the problem..

Ewen

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

If it has gone oval rather than just wobbly it will affect it more as you will have the o-ring not making a complete seal inside the circular housing. The ovality on mine was over 4mm so there was no chance of a good seal.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

ewenmaclean

Post by ewenmaclean »

All sorted,

it had indeed gone oval - will try and post a pic soon.

Thanks Oldie and Pauly for the info and help

Ewen

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

its a bit of a common fault with this type pf engine..even the petrol ones.my old agg had done the same..a new one is better than messing around with sealant
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)