Engine not revving

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

redtwoseater

Engine not revving

Post by redtwoseater »

Hi, I've recently put a 1.9TD AAZ in my 1990 Westy, my old engine was a 1.6TD.

My question is :
Does anyone have any ideas as to why it starts up fine, runs fine, but does not rev?

Wondered if it is something to do with the injector pump. :idea
Can anybody shed a light please?
Cheers Paul.

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Re: Engine not revving

Post by weldore »

if you had the pump lever off then it isnt back on the splines in the right place.these symptoms sound likely to be that
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

redtwoseater

Post by redtwoseater »

Thanks for reply.
My father in law who's the mechanic says he's tried it on different splines but still does not rev. He does not know if the pump has been taken off before or not.
Cheers.

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Post by billy739 »

take it off , turn the spindle fully clockwise and refit it against the lower stop , refit it and see if it revs higher?

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

spindle has quite a bit of rotation in it before it actually does anything. As has been said, arm off, its dead easy to put it back (unknowingly) in the 'wrong' orientation.
Firstly, take cable and arm off and start van, then turn spindle with a set of molies (carefully so as not to do any damage to it). This *should* see the engine reving 'as it should' just for piece of mind pump is dead.

You then need to mark/orientate spindle so it is 'set' at idle just before moving it any more increases revs. You then need to put arm on so as it pushes straight on and sits against closed throttle stop.

Thats the long winded way.

Easiest/quickest is to undo top nut on spindle, lift off arm so it ONLY JUST clears top of spindle so you dont have to dissasemble the spring assembly etc and turn the spindle a gnats todger and put arm back on. You will know when you have it bang on as it idles right and as soon as you open throttle it picks up asap. :ok

redtwoseater

Post by redtwoseater »

Thanks for replies folks. What we ended up doing is putting a different pump on altogether. It works and revs fine now :P
I went for a test drive yesterday. I few questions if anyone can help.
1- The engine mount on the right side (as you are looking at the engine from the rear) The power steering pulley is in the way, catching. So we have taken a chunk out of the bar with a grinder. Its clear now, but does anyone know if there is an engine mount shaped to fit out there I can get hold of?

2- I know its a different alternator but the rev counter does not work properly. The arm just goes to 2. Any suggestions?

3- The water filer tank behind the number plate does not fit now, with the 1.9 being a bigger engine,- Do I need it or can I do without it ?

Thanks for any help
Paul.