How much for a diesel to petrol conversion?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

stuartrolfe
80-90 Mem No: 6954

How much for a diesel to petrol conversion?

Post by stuartrolfe »

Interested to know how much to supply and fit a Suburu engine into a T25 (including removal of diesel engine).
LEZ phase 3 is looming.
Does my diesel engine have any value (only 24,000 km)?
Thanks.

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Re: How much for a diesel to petrol conversion?

Post by ringo »

Fancy giving us a clue what diesel engine it is?

I know it's the LEZ but normally folk post the question the other way round -> petrol to diesel!

My guess is 3-4 grand to get a scooby engine in plus the price of a donor engine.

That's a guess mind!

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

stuartrolfe

Post by stuartrolfe »

Your guess seems a bit high to me, surely it can't be more than a couple of days work for an experienced mechanic?

Not sure what engine it is but surely does not have much of a bearing on cost of engine transplant. It's in an ex German Army bus 1.7litre, 4 speed box.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

y stuartrolfe » 1 minute ago

Your guess seems a bit high to me, surely it can't be more than a couple of days work for an experienced mechanic?

Not sure what engine it is but surely does not have much of a bearing on cost of engine transplant. It's in an ex German Army bus 1.7litre, 4 speed box.
the above price is about right, maybe even a bit cheap! go on rjes website and price up their conversion stuff. Pm spannerboy on here, he does the subaru conversion

Have a search on here and brickyard for golf gti conversion. Uses all the diesel stuff you already have, engines are cheap and powerful. But if you can't do it yourself, i reckon it will still be around 2k
lloyd
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

Well whilst I highly rate the 1.7d engine I don't think it's worth much. £200 or so?

As for the engine transplant I won't comment any further. You can thank me for my accurate estimate some other time lol!

As for the LEZ meaning you have to change your engine - are you sure? Every diesel T25 I have heard of is exempt or will be after they prove it weighs less than 2.4 tonnes.

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

stuartrolfe wrote:Your guess seems a bit high to me, surely it can't be more than a couple of days work for an experienced mechanic?

:rofl Im and experienced mechanic and did all the work converting mine myself, mine was a petrol and it cost me £1250, that was me making loads of the parts from scratch! circa £3~4 k is easily about right! Oh and it aint a couple of days!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Every diesel T25 I have heard of is exempt or will be after they prove it weighs less than 2.4 tonnes.
Not if its registered as a panel van unfortunately.
caravelles are fine, motorhomes 2.5t and under.
I'm waiting for diesel syncro panels and pick ups to surface :mrgreen:
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

stuartrolfe

Post by stuartrolfe »

There seems to be a lot more work than would be required for an engine swap on a Bay window or splitty which I have been told is quite quick and easy.
As for the LEZ, the van is 2.6 Tonnes. I'm not sure what's on there making it heavier than most but there is a heavy duty armoured cover over the engine bay (in addition to the standard engine hatch).

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Not sure who's been telling you that a split or bay is easier and it dont take long... as they dont have any water cooling systems to start with, so would be a lot more work.. it isnt just a bolt in job....

Really.. if you think its easy and quick and cheap to do.. let us jnow how it goes... :ok

Trust us.. if it was cheap easy and quick... a lot of us prob would be running scoobys in our vans too... :wink:

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Post by ..lee.. »

£3-4k to do it correctly is about right. you could do it a lot cheaper but not to the standard that most would want. visit the rjes site to get a feel for what you`ll need.
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.