golf mk2 1.6 td suitable replacement for 1.7d KY

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jockstrap

golf mk2 1.6 td suitable replacement for 1.7d KY

Post by jockstrap »

HI
I have a 1987 1.7 KY t25 campervan.

The engine is OK (doesn't use oil or make horrible noises) as it chugs albeit a bit slowly. However I am thinking ahead as I plan to improve the van (bodywork, mechanicals and interior etc). As part of the improvements I intend putting a more powerful engine in to give a higher cruising speed and better climbing. I was wondering if the above engine (I am planning to run the car for a while) would be OK as a replacement please bearing in mind that I do realise that I will need he exhaust manifold from a jx, the sump and bellhousing from my KY. Also is it possible to recondition the golf 1.6 td engine.

Ta in advance

Alan

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Re: golf mk2 1.6 td suitable replacement for 1.7d KY

Post by billy739 »

you will need to modify your sump for turbo oil return .
complete new inlet sysytem from a t25 td
complete exhaust system from t25 td

standard td t25 also had extra cooling parts in the engine bay

also some extra wires

the old golf motor is a very old design engine , a later AAZ or similar 1.9 td is a betterdesign .

but again you will need td parts from a t25

also if you upgrade from a 1.7 you will also need to change /rebuild your gear box or your just wasing your time and will destroy the new engine by over reving it!

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

If its a low mileage engine then I don't see why not.

I wouldn't bother myself. Going to all the trouble I'd stick a AAZ in first time round.

Having started off with a KY engine myself, I would recommend you continue to enjoy the excellent mpg (unrivalled and no other engine beats it) and reliability.

Also, if it ain't broke don't fix it blah blah.

It's an excellent hobby though as I'm sure you know. If you have the time and the money, then it's very satisfying.

Also, I have the turbo manifolds for sale ;)

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

jockstrap

Post by jockstrap »

Apologies about delay in responding - thanks for replies.

I have now realised that there is no advantage in the golf 1.6td and will start looking for a golf 1.9td. When I have cleared out the garage and sorted a few other things I will start collecting necessary extras (including gearbox etc).

ta

Alan