The Superboxer, a new heart for the Silver Bullet

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Re: The Superboxer, a new heart for the Silver Bullet

Post by mrhutch »

@ian have you ever seen/ridden in MadMatt's RS6 bi turbo bus?

I may well have left a small stain on the passenger seat as he pulled from 40 to over a ton in under two seconds.

He has an aerospace background and found the same issue, along with the venturi effect of the T3 shape making for front end lift if the airflow is not spoiled/split (his bus is a stock looking panel van!) .
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

:mrgreen:

Chap I know ((another Matt funnily enough) said he could see his screen flexing when he got 'substantial into three figures' :mrgreen:

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

I have not had the pleasure of riding in Matts panel van. Front splitter and undertray has been on the job list a good while, right after brakes and bodyshell stiffening ;)

Sent from my Vectrex. Awesome!!!!

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

PS Whatever the cause, controlling cabin pressure is clearly a subject for further thought... I can imagine a couple of big internal vent grilles in the tailgate trim board for starters.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

PPS I wonder how the owner of the 993 turbo Westy met this challenge? It's not slow and it must be a bit flexy (arent they all?)

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

A bit of UN1 work. The PO had kindly cleaned the transaxle before it got to me, unfortunately his activities had forced water into the diff bearings, leaving a couple of lines of pitting on the tracks :-(
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g47 ... b8nid0.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Standard industrial taper rollers, shouldnt be too dear. Vivre la France once again.
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g47 ... pnzahf.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent by Morse code from the bunker

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

Ian just check they aren't an automotive spec - our box uses 32010X but a particular automotive variant (QCL7C now in SKF language) which has a different radius on the inner race to the standard 32010X, if you fit the standard one it doesn't fit the diff quite right - I have seen a few places selling the wrong one for our diff in ignorance

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

:ok 30209C inner has a pretty sharp corner, SKF book says R0.6 for the shoulder that sits up against the diff. Will check if suffix C is a tolerance or some other detail unique to SNR for Renault.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Supplier turned up with Codex brand bearings. Who?
"Manufactured for Codex, Slovakia, EU" on the box :roll: ...no country of origin on the bearing.
No thanks I said, send SKF replacements.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Ahh. That's better...

Sent by Morse code from the bunker

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

A day of cleaning many things for customer jobs, so I did some for myself too.
The UN1 proves to be a joy to dismantle, the single adjuster for the diff bearings is an easy fit and actually unscrewed by hand and the bearings have the lightest of fits in the case. Seals are easily available (but the side flanges are a tad rough, so will need Speedi-sleeves) and are like the baby brother of the wbx syncro crank pulley seal.
Comparing the pinion to that of a 6.16...

Ich fahre einen Bulli. Ich hilfe mir selbst...meistens!

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Looks like the old Jaeger speedo transducer for the UN1 is now long since NLA. No surprises there. I think it may be worthwhile doing a subtle mod to the casing to use a BOSCH 0261210170, it looks to be pretty well universal fitment on a lot of cars including VAG & Merc.
I have to drill the opposite casing anyway, as part of the diff flip (there is a boss already there for the Alpine GTA etc) and there isn't a lot of choice when it comes to "pencil" type transducers.
Assuming that the old one doesn't work, I haven't actually tested it yet!

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Interesting... https://thedubshop.goodsie.com/wasser-o ... er-package" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Bellhousing & clutch news.

I have found that the Renault input shaft coupling spline is NOT the same as the VW one, and not close enough for my liking either. The UN1 has 90 degree splines, VW are 60 degree. Putting the two together is asking one to strip or certainly wear prematurely.

So... back to the Renault V6 input shaft. It's quite a bit shorter than the petrol 091 item and has a much larger 23mm dia x 22 tooth clutch spline, but this has a couple of unexpected benefits:

1. The bellhousing can be usefully shorter, barely 100mm long in fact. Things will be be a bit snug around the clutch release shaft but it will make the whole installation a bit easier in the long run. I might even get away without chopping the rear crossmember on the body.
2. I will be getting an uprated 228mm clutch made anyway, so having one with a larger spline shouldn't present a problem. I can't go bigger because of the flat-4 bellhousing bolt circle, so that's all I can have.

All of this has made me re-think the bellhousing side project and I now realize that it will be much easier to carve one from a solid blank rather than wasting time and effort on DIY patternmaking for a 1-off casting. I have the means and the capability so I may as well get on with it.

I'll need a nice big brick of 6082-T6, about 310 wide x 410 tall x 110mm in fact :shock: and a bit of time at the traditional drawing board, followed by a good bit of after-hours CNC machining time. At least that will run itself, once set and programmed.

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Post by Smosh »

silverbullet wrote:
I'll need a nice big brick of 6082-T6, about 310 wide x 410 tall x 110mm in fact :shock: and a bit of time at the traditional drawing board, followed by a good bit of after-hours CNC machining time. At least that will run itself, once set and programmed.

If you are drawing up by hand and you wanted converted into a 2d AutoCAD drawing. I can do that for you. Just let me know. Cant see it taking too long. I usually do srtuctural drawings and haven't done technical drawings for a few years but have daily access to AutoCAD.
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.