LEZ: Any advice re authorised fitters

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

smudge
80-90 Mem No: 7162

LEZ: Any advice re authorised fitters

Post by smudge »

Morning all....

We had a lovely letter from Mayor Boris about our 1991 Westy two weeks ago, which now means that our van needs to have a 'special filter' fitted in order to meet the emission requirements. This has to be completed by Jan 1st 2012; if not we will have to pay a £100 fine, per day :evil: !!

Our van is fitted with a 1.9Td VW Golf engine (just to complicate matters) so when I've been making enquiries I keep getting asked about BHP and the like, which I have no idea about, as its not the standard engine.

I contacted a company who took ten days to reply to my query and quoted me £5k (yes that's thousand, not hundred!!) to fit a filter.

Needless to say the TfL (transport for London) website has limited advice on who to contact re the fitting etc, but lots of details about getting your 'certificate' once fitted, and of course, how much the fines will be!

So, anyone out there living in the Greater London Area that is in the same boat and can advise me please? Any companies that anyone can recommend? Oh, and btw, selling our beloved family bus is NOT an option, so please don't suggest it!

Many thanks, Carole :wink:

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Re: LEZ: Any advice re authorised fitters

Post by camper »

Yes i had this letter but i am in dispute with them about the gross vehicle weight of the T25 which shows 2460kg on the vin plate.There records show it compliant and exempt as a motor caravan 2011 on paper as 2460kg but the letter said it was 2500kg non compliant for jan 2012 so not exempt.I have sent picts of the vin plate and other information to them waiting for a answer.

syncroand101
80-90 Mem No: 500

Post by syncroand101 »

So, anyone out there living in the Greater London Area that is in the same boat and can advise me please?

Hi Carol, you need to have you GVW recorded correctly on your V5, if it is blank, they have their own figure which is completely wrong. Yours will be listed on the plate on the a-pillar where the front door attachs. Take a picture of this, send it in with a letter and note on the V5 what the GVW should be. Hey presto they update, LEZ records update and you won't have to pay a dime ;-)

but the letter said it was 2500kg non compliant for jan 2012 so not exempt

Interesting as I am sure mine is 2500kg (being a syncro) and compliant, the original paperwork specified as 2500kg and under. Is your V5 deffo showing GVW as 2500kg?

smudge
80-90 Mem No: 7162

Post by smudge »

Wow :D

Well that has cheered me up!

Thank you so much for your replies, as soon as I get home I will check this and follow it up.

Watch this space :ok

Mind you, how many T25 owners out there won't know this information and pay out? Sobering thought.....

I'll keep you posted, lets hope that nobody gets ripped off....

Many thanks again, Carole :wink:

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

What Jake said, I am 2500kg and I am exempt. Took a while to sort!
Still got a letter the other day :roll: Tfl send the letter from old details. The LEZ still have me as exempt, which is what matters. Hope you get it sorted quickly
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

smudge wrote:Wow :D

Well that has cheered me up!

Thank you so much for your replies, as soon as I get home I will check this and follow it up.

Watch this space :ok

Mind you, how many T25 owners out there won't know this information and pay out? Sobering thought.....

I'll keep you posted, lets hope that nobody gets ripped off....

Many thanks again, Carole :wink:
then get some leaflets printed up and stick them on and that you see
m :ok

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

could lead to a few bargains to be had in the london area :lol: I'm waiting for the syncro pick ups to start surfacing :D

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Id best have a word in boris's ear to send them my way for a "referal"fee :rofl
m

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

lloydy wrote:could lead to a few bargains to be had in the london area :lol: I'm waiting for the syncro pick ups to start surfacing :D

They won't be exempt because they are commercial is the way I understand it.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

syncroand101
80-90 Mem No: 500

Post by syncroand101 »

ninja.turtle007 wrote:
lloydy wrote:could lead to a few bargains to be had in the london area :lol: I'm waiting for the syncro pick ups to start surfacing :D

They won't be exempt because they are commercial is the way I understand it.

Correct, only Motor Caravans GVW 2500kg and under.

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Yep but I'd stick a golf motor in :wink: then it would be ok

pirate-pete
80-90 Mem No: 7945

Post by pirate-pete »

Hi Carole

Like many others I too had to get this sorted out after these numpties at TFL told me they had my Westy weighed in at 3000kg or something really stupid and if I wanted it correcting I needed to fill in the registration form . Ignored it for a while while the charge was suspended but once they changed their minds again and confirmed the charge is coming I downloaded the form from here http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/17702.aspx and filled in as best I could ignoring the bit asking me what type of vehicle it is as there is no option for a camper van. I enclosed a photo of the VIN plate from the van showing the GVW to be 2460kg and also the V5 to prove it was registered as a motor caravan or whatever they call it and a letter pointing out that I should be exempt as I was a campervan under 2500kg as proved by the attached docs.

Waited a few days and then got two thick envelopes through the door. Great I thought until I read them. One was thanks for registering my fleet!!! and the second something about how to pay but nothing to say I was exempt. Grrrrrr! Got on the phone to them and the guy brought up the correspondance on his computer and agreed I should be exempt. He got his supervisor to confirm over the phone they were going to add my van to the exempt list and a few days later I got it confirmed in writing. The online checker now shows me to be not subject to LEZ.

All that back in spring but I did get another letter last week warning me I am liable from January. Might call them to complain about their incompetence but at least I have the original letter confirming I am exempt and the docs to prove it.

Only thing to worry us now is in case they decide to toughen up the rules in the future. As Lloydy says we could just stick a Golf motor in but having just done that with Lloydy's last golf engine, make sure it is a petrol one first :-)
1983 Westy Joker HighTop, 1Z TDI Conversion

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

lloydy wrote:Yep but I'd stick a golf motor in :wink: then it would be ok

Good thinking Batman, quite fancy a Doka!! Must resist!!! :run
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

My t25 is registered as compliant but as said received a letter to say 3rd january 2012 it will not meet the emission standards.Okay tel lez london the person i spoke to said send in copies of compliance & evidance by email to lez London.An automatic reply service by email said i would have a response within 10 days This was a while ago.Any way after reading through this thread ive put pen to paper and copied the evidance of compiliance reg V5 vin plate photo showing gross vehicle weight .I posted it to an address Lez Worthing

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

The letter is sent by a different company, you say yours is registered as compliant? If so put your numberplate in the LEZ compliance checker https://lowemissionzone.tfl.gov.uk/b/pb ... eVRM.faces" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If it comes up exempt, all is good and you have to do no more