LEZ: Any advice re authorised fitters

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Re: LEZ: Any advice re authorised fitters

Post by camper »

I put my vehicles reg number on the link here

17 Sep 2011 to 02 Jan 2012 Not Subject to LEZ What does not subject to the Low Emission Zone mean?
According to our records this vehicle is not subject to the Low Emission Zone and is not required to meet the Low Emission Zone standards this time.
03 Jan 2012 to onwards Non-Compliant What does non-compliant mean?
According to our records, the vehicle does not meet the required Low Emission Zone standards at this time.Find out how to comply.If you believe that your vehicle is compliant,please complete the registration form.
LEZ Worthing will get my letter Monday.

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Post by ..lee.. »

knowing sod all about city life and not really wanting to either i ask the question about the camper exemption. is it that campers are exempt or that goods vehicles are required. reason being technically a syncro doka or sika is not a commercial vehicle. being 4wd they should be classed as multi purpose vehicles not comercial.

lee.
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

camper wrote:I put my vehicles reg number on the link here

17 Sep 2011 to 02 Jan 2012 Not Subject to LEZ What does not subject to the Low Emission Zone mean?
According to our records this vehicle is not subject to the Low Emission Zone and is not required to meet the Low Emission Zone standards this time.
03 Jan 2012 to onwards Non-Compliant What does non-compliant mean?
According to our records, the vehicle does not meet the required Low Emission Zone standards at this time.Find out how to comply.If you believe that your vehicle is compliant,please complete the registration form.
LEZ Worthing will get my letter Monday.
It means you are ok :ok Drive in London as much as you want :D
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

(Its compliant at present ) But 03 Jan 2012 to onwards Non-Compliant What does non-compliant mean?
According to our records, the vehicle does not meet the required Low Emission Zone standards at this time.Find out how to comply.If you believe that your vehicle is compliant,please complete the registration form .Untill i get the response from lez to say its compliant from 03 Jan 2012 i wont drive it in the LEZ after that date.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

it means unless you update their records in the way we have been telling you, they will charge you. So send them proof of your vehicle weight and VIN number, and get them to change it. simples :lol: It's really not hard to do, you won't be any different to us, we are exempt, and so will you be when you update their records
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

smudge
80-90 Mem No: 7162

Post by smudge »

pirate-pete wrote:Hi Carole

Like many others I too had to get this sorted out after these numpties at TFL told me they had my Westy weighed in at 3000kg or something really stupid and if I wanted it correcting I needed to fill in the registration form . Ignored it for a while while the charge was suspended but once they changed their minds again and confirmed the charge is coming I downloaded the form from here http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/17702.aspx and filled in as best I could ignoring the bit asking me what type of vehicle it is as there is no option for a camper van. I enclosed a photo of the VIN plate from the van showing the GVW to be 2460kg and also the V5 to prove it was registered as a motor caravan or whatever they call it and a letter pointing out that I should be exempt as I was a campervan under 2500kg as proved by the attached docs.

Waited a few days and then got two thick envelopes through the door. Great I thought until I read them. One was thanks for registering my fleet!!! and the second something about how to pay but nothing to say I was exempt. Grrrrrr! Got on the phone to them and the guy brought up the correspondance on his computer and agreed I should be exempt. He got his supervisor to confirm over the phone they were going to add my van to the exempt list and a few days later I got it confirmed in writing. The online checker now shows me to be not subject to LEZ.

All that back in spring but I did get another letter last week warning me I am liable from January. Might call them to complain about their incompetence but at least I have the original letter confirming I am exempt and the docs to prove it.

Only thing to worry us now is in case they decide to toughen up the rules in the future. As Lloydy says we could just stick a Golf motor in but having just done that with Lloydy's last golf engine, make sure it is a petrol one first :-)

Thank pirate-pete, this is really good and helpful advice. I'm going to write to the DVLA this week with a photo of my VIN plate.

It's just another money making excercise frankly, I have some friends who are builders etc, and some of them simply can't afford to modify or even change their vehicles. At least I don't rely on my Westy for my livelyhood... :roll:

I look forward to an on-going debate with the DVLA :shock:

smudge
80-90 Mem No: 7162

Post by smudge »

Morning everyone....

An update for you. I've had to complete another LEZ emission form (I think the link is in a previous post) with a copy of my V5 and a photo of the chassis plate, which clearly shows the GVW being 2460kg, 40kg below the required 2500kg for the LEZ charge.

This was in part because TfL have 'lost' my previous emails etc which already had this confirmed. So, off to the post office this morning, and i will be using registered post! The deadline of the 3rd of Jan is looming!!

That said, I have had verbal confirmation that my vehicle is exempt, so I'm not too concerned. Also, which may be of use to some, I was told today that they have had to re-think the LEZ charges for the first few weeks as there is now a huge backlog of vehicles that are awaiting conversion, and in turn this will mean that vehicles will still technically incur the fine as they have not yet been converted.

So, I was told today that 'first offenders' will firstly be sent a letter giving them 28 days to either get their vehicle converted, or appeal against the fine. So hopefully, even if I do drive through the zone and get a fine notice, there will still be time for my application to be processed and as such be classed as exempt.

Fingers crossed.... :shock:

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Post by nevill3 »

You can email them scanned copies/ photographs of your documents if you want, then you have a record of contacting them if you need it. here is a quote from a post of mine on another thread

nevill3 wrote:I emailed the LEZ people and included as attachments a scanned copy of the first two pages of my registration document and a photo of my "plate"..

There was a link on the website, iirc, to a form to fill in.

I found it here are the details from the TFL website

Registration process
Step 1
If you have a GB registered vehicle and are unsure how your vehicle is affected, firstly, go to our vehicle checker

Step 2
Read the guidance notes (PDF 233KB) for detailed information on who needs to register and how to complete the registration form.

Step 3
Complete an LEZ Vehicle Registration Form (PDF 670KB), and make photocopies of the relevant vehicle registration documents.

You'll also need to provide additional documentary or photographic evidence as outlined in the guidance notes for your application type.

You'll need to complete a separate form for each vehicle.

Step 4
You can either email or post us your documents.

Email - send your scanned vehicle registration form and evidence to lezlondon@tfl.gov.uk Acceptable file formats are .DOC, .XLS, .GIF, .JPEG, .PNG, .PDF, .JPG.

Post - send your documents to Low Emission Zone, PO Box 4784, Worthing BN11 9PU

Step 5
You'll receive an email or letter from us confirming if your application has been successful. Until you receive this, you should continue to pay the daily charge if you're driving within the LEZ, otherwise you may be liable for a Penalty Charge.

We classify vehicles based on their body type, gross vehicle weight, unladen weight, number of seats and fuel type. Please check your vehicle registration document (V5C) to check these details are correct. If any information is incorrect, you need to contact the DVLA to get the details amended.

Some data, like unladen weight, are set by the vehicle manufacturer when the vehicle was originally designed and certified, and can't be changed.

On receipt of a revised V5C from the DVLA, please complete an online check to confirm your vehicle's classification.

I received two letters back with the second one confirming my LEZ exemption.

The email route appealed to me because it is free.....I know I am am cheapskate :roll:
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District