Cosworth 2.9litre in my Crewwy

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dickspanner
80-90 Mem No: 4641

Post by dickspanner »

Crewcab update.

I have just finished all the prep work for the spray job and it is going in this week.

It is now a bare shell and naked of paint. I think if I just laquered it it would look like a audi or delorian. But thats just plain silly.

The engine is coming back to my lock up at weekend fully built. I have not been able to get hold of a DK box so it is going straight on my 5 speed box (which has a sticker on from Motorman - so presume is a recon).

The wiring is a complete nightmare. The cossy motor is powered by 9 brains. Rationalisation is now beginning and strip out of the harness.

Not putting any of the cosworth bling on it like aircon cruise control as I only have till 10th feb to finish it before it goes on its maiden voyage to south of France.

D I C K spanner
Crewwy now running a 2.9litre 24V V6 Injection Cosworth motor.Oh the Joy. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Mmmmmmmmm

0 to loud with a big grin

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

looked on www.vwkd.com , ford section has lots and a linky to wiring diagram

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

I have that site as a fave, but it is for the BOB engine which has different cams and wiring is slightly different.

If you do a search on google, people put this engine in all manner of vehicles. There is a really good site linked of a RS site which let me download a cosworth manual for it and there is another site where a bloke stuck the same donkey in his sierra.

Each has wiring modifications, but I will post a picture of the actual harness when I get it out of the box just to show how insane it is and I will post a picture of the modified harness when I have finished.
Crewwy now running a 2.9litre 24V V6 Injection Cosworth motor.Oh the Joy. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Mmmmmmmmm

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

I have posted a picture of the wiring harness in the box in the modified section and the beginning of the opening up of it. It is just massive, the core diameter of the main bunch of wores is about 2 inch. There are 9 brains on the thing and two massive fuse boxes.

Dave the wiring guru does not seam the slightest bit phased by it all. It just lloks like someone has gone mad in a spaghetti factory.

Hey hoe, anybody got snips and a load of heat shrink and solder.

Will post pictures of the modified version as well.

D I C K Spanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

The_blue
80-90 Mem No: 3484

Post by The_blue »

We need pictures!! :(

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

I have posted some pictures on the modified section under crewcab revised links.

The new update is that she is booked in for a MOT on 9th February and is travelling on her first holiday to my house over in France on 15th.

I have just ordered the spiggot bearing from GS and pick it up tomorrow so I can finally assemble the stock 1.9 petrol to the DU gearbox. :cry: . This is however going to get ripped back out when she comes back from France so the real engine can be installed.

The engine builder called round on Saturday and picked up the last parts needed for the cossy motor and has phoned me this morning telling me it is nearly finished and will be delivered later this week. Bit gutted that I have not got time to fit it for France, but several factors have convinced me to stick the stock motor in for her first trip abroad.

I was in the body shop on Sunday for the day and have welded up most of the cubby storage area. I just have a few more bits to do on that then she is a sound shell again.

In relation to the paint update, the photos I could post would not show much difference as she is still a bare metal shell, with the last bits of prep work being carried out before she gets all her undercoats. She is have three coats of primer, the last two being high build to hide any of her wrinkles.

I have decided the load bed is just so badly dinted and scuffed that it is not worth trying to straighten it all out. I have plated the little holes in it here and there and it is going to be painted as is. I am then going to have so chequer plate bed plates made for her which will cover the load bed and the insides of the drop sides as they are really battered.

I would love to replace the load bed but the cost is just plain silly. I got a price for second hand cubby hole doors at £150 a pari so decided to repair them, goodness only knows what a set of A1 drop sides would cost me so they are going to be repaired the best I can.

The interior is coming along with the two cosworth leather electric seats being fitted in the front and the caravelle three in a row seat being fitted in the rear.

It feals strange to build something and plan to take it back apart again straight afterwards but the speed in which this has to be finished and the fact that a modified gearbox will cost me over a grand has knocked the installation of the cosworth engine. But she will get it fitted.

When the engine arrives, I wil post a piccie of it to show what is being fitted just to get the juices flowing.

Photos to follow on the modified section. (I don't want to keep posting pictures of bodywork on this section so further pictures on here will be engine only and bodywork will be in modified section)

Cheers

D I C K Spanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Well it has come back to the top in my next dilema.

Having been completly shafted by my sprayer and now in posession of a bare metal sheel going rusty, the engine builder has phoned me and wants to deliver the fully blown, fully reconned Cossy V6 motor back to my workshop next sunday.

I have installed a DG 1.9 petrol engine and 5 speed box in the crewwy and bought £200 worth of service bits for it.

The engine will be sat there, the full KEP conversion kit will be sat next to it, all the gear and knowledge to do the conversion is at my lock up.

Do I commit to the conversion and sell the DK engine which is a recon unit by VW themself to finance the rest of the mechanical conversion on the bare metal shell or do I just sell the Cossy motor and conversion kit and stay with the fitted 1.9DG.

The crewwy is sending me bonkers, the spray job has knocked all the wind out of the my sails, the motivation has gone, its another unfinished project. Can I drag some motivation out from the bowel of my dispair about the whole thing.

I would say that I could have the mechanical conversion done in one weekend, pushing all the power through a weak standard recon 5 speed, knowing I will probably blow it to bits when I jam the loud pedal fully open. Can I pay the mind boggling 2k for a spray job + all the money the rest of the monster has pulled from me. The thing now stands me at 5k and it still needs spraying and finishing off.

Oh the dispair.

She is a wee beasty, but what do I do.

A gutted and dispondant D I C K Spanner. :(

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Well.. get it in primer... and maybe a flashed over top coat... just to protect it...

The box.. well.. if you can stay off the loud pedal in the lower gears and not bury it too hard, the box might last a good bit..
What can you get for the cossie??
fit a 2.1 instead of the 1.9... they do go a bit better.. whatever happens you aint gonna see the money back like it is...

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Yes, I know what you are saying regarding the return.

The cossy motor stands me at £1200 and the conversion kit stands me at £600, as I went for all the bells and whistles including the hi torque starter etc.

I have now commisioned it to be put into primer ready for the top coat. The two lads who are working on it, have stated it will be done by next Friday.

The cossy motor is being delivered next sunday and I am going to wedge it in there on the standard gearbox. I know the box will not last too long, but to change the box afterwards is not too much hardship.

A very kind forum member has a DK box which she will sell me, but I just have not got the cash at the moment even though it is a mega bargin.

If by next weekend it is ready for squirting a top coat on it, and I wedge the donkey in, then I should image my motivation will return to finish it.

I will post some pictures of the spray job as it progresses and a photo of the donlkey when it returns and when it is installed.

It will still need a heck of a lot more work on it after the two above tasks are completed, got to admit I am not looking forward to making the exhaust. From reading cossy forums, I can not mess about with the exhaust at all otherwise it looses lots of BHP. I have to keep the system as original as possible which basically means running the stock system down to the front of the crewwy then turning the end sideways. So that will be fun.

In relation to cooling, which would be the biggest RAD, I presume it will be a diesel? I am going to stick the oil cooler on the back of the engine bay with some upsweep trips under the engine to throw air to it when moving. Can kenlow fans be fitted to the front rad without to much modification etc. The list of learning goes on and on.

But the positive note is that the project is on the front boiler again and I will start showing updates on the modified forum.

May even have it finished for the France Run Si and you may get to see it in July.

Cheers

D I C K Spanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

good luck with it all, all be good we're hoping

toomanytoys
Trader

Post by toomanytoys »

If you havent had the rad out.... they are BIG... the fan is BIG too.. and by the time you fill it with water there is a lot in there (17L in a wbx, compared to the 5-7? in the cossi))... just make sure the rad is in good nick and or a good quality replacement..

How good are the cossie waterpumps??

Fit a fan and switch on the oil cooler...

Keep us informed....

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

The cossy rad was very big, but I should imagine the VW system will cope.

I have not had the rad out of the crewwy yet, but may take it out tonight.

Good point on the oil cooler, the thing is big to start with and I suppose it being at the back of the motor with scoops pointing to it will make it more efficient than being at the front of the cossy, when it was at the front of the cossy, it was directly in front of the rad. At least with it strapped on the rear it will have free flow through it and when it is stopped, it is just the same as the cossy situation except there will not be a hot rad behind it. When I built the engine support framework I will probably incorperate some scoops on the underside to throw air upto it.

Lad in unit next door but one wants to buy my DG engine and all the service stuff off me, but need money by Saturday to pay my man for the cossy motor on Sunday, may just have to put it on ebay on a three day auction and put a reserve on it. Taking DG donkey out tonight, will photo it and ask him the question again and see what he says.

Things are moving forward again, so I will take a piccie of the progress each day and post it on the modified thread of my crewwy to show the bodywork coming on.

D I C K Spanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Well I collected my spare engine tonight and after a bit of deliberation I decided to give it a dry install to see if it fitted together and more importantly if the KEP did what it said on the tin.

Here are the results

The spare engine sat on its frame

The KEP plate

The cosworth exhausts roughly clamped into place

The gearbox roughly in its position.

I was quite chuffed with how the drive flanges do not clash with the exhaust downpipes at the moment, I will be able to tell when I start to bolt the thing together.

The KEP plate has a slight bulge where it should not be but a bit of grinding down will soon sort this out. When it it bolted together (without flywheel or clutch) I should be able to bolt the starter in and offer it up under the crewcab.

I am intending to use the existing cosworth cross member and extend it to reach the chassis and weld some 5mm plate along the chassis and some 100x100x5 angle as the cross memeber is not wide enough and I do not want this to be a weakspot but want to retain the cross member and keep the ability to unbolt 4 bolts of the cross memeber and one to the gearbox and lower the complete unit.

Got to admit, got a bit giddy when the thing started to go together and it appeared to work well.

The lads are doing a great job and the prep work to get the van into primer as well. One of the lads is bead blasting every orifice to remove all the paint and rust while the other is doing the panel beating and body filler work.

Hope full the tub will be in full primer buy the end on Sunday night and the main engine mounting system will be finished.

I will keep you lot posted as this is a long rough journey I have travelled so far and would not of been able to contine without the knowledge base on here and the positive encouragement.

Cheers

D I C K Spanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

toomanytoys
Trader

Post by toomanytoys »

:shock: jeez thats a big lump...... good job its a pickup...

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Got to admit, when I saw it I thought it was going to be a sqeeze, but the fully assembled engine is alot bigger, that is a bare engine so I can use it for the mock up set up for the engine mounts and chassis strengthening.

I don't have any worries about it fitting and it should look totally standard except the exhaust coming out just behind the front drivers wheel. I can at a push lift it up so the plenim chambers sit just below the deck plate I am going to install, the main thing is the angle of the drive shafts.

The current wiring harness had 9 brains to run the sodding thing, and it takes two people to lift the harness on its own. We are going to do some serious rationalisation on the thing..

I think I am may have to fit power steering on the crewcab as it has a power steering pump on the engine and if I remove it I have no idea where I will get a multirib belt from. I am also thinking of purchasing a air take off to replace the powersteering pump, to solve the problem, if not PS here I come.

I have been at the lock up tonight with the intention of installing the block and gearbox, but have ended up bead blasting the cargo bed to help the sprayers out.

Roll on the weekend, when I can spend a couple of days on it and hopefully some primer will be squirted on it.

DS

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner