Cosworth 2.9litre in my Crewwy

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dickspanner
80-90 Mem No: 4641

Re: Cosworth 2.9litre in my Crewwy

Post by dickspanner »

Just an update.

I know what is wrong with the crewcab, there is a fault on the head, and oil is getting into the cylinder hence the smoke.

Now entering my 8th week of unemployment so no money to sort it out and the engine buildier has turned into the scarlet pimponell.

Depressing that the crewcab is insured, taxed and moted and I can not do anything with it.

Just want it sorting out so I can sell it.

Ho hummmmmmm.

Going to start on cosmetic work when kids are back at school and I can get my pass stamped to play out at my lock up.

Dickspanner
Crewwy now running a 2.9litre 24V V6 Injection Cosworth motor.Oh the Joy. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Mmmmmmmmm

0 to loud with a big grin

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Latest update:-

Engine has now been removed from Crewcab and is on my stand.

Diagnostics will begin when my mechanic carries out a cylinder leakage test, this will either determine if the valve seals have gone on number 6 cyliner or the problem is worse and the oil scraper ring is faulty.

Will keep you posted.

Dickspanner
Crewwy now running a 2.9litre 24V V6 Injection Cosworth motor.Oh the Joy. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Mmmmmmmmm

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

dickspanner wrote:
Will keep you posted.

Dickspanner

waiting with anxious anticipation, good luck :ok

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Ment to mention as well Aiden, especially in your direction.

When I was removing the engine, 4 of the hexspline bolts to hold the CV joints to the gearbox flanges had worked loose (to the fact of between 3 and 12mm of thread showing and only two of the remaining set were actually tight. These were all torqued up when the thing was built. Just goes to show that 220bhp shakes things to pieces. LOL.

Going to strip the drive train before assembly, torque everything up again but use threadlock as well to prevent it happening again.

I am going to do a full inspeaction of all things again while assembling and also apply thread lock to seveal areas.

Just cut the 4 cats out of the exhausts and building a full new system, so should be a bit quicker as well. (As though it needs it. LOL) Should be able to rip cats eyes out of the road with the torque. Shame I am not keeping otherwise a box would be built that would not be problematic, however, no probs upto now with the box I have.

Can post some pictures of stripped engine, if interested (well the motor with the plenium chamber and rocker covers off anyhow).

Dickspanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Here is a quick question.

As you know when the crewcab is sorted again I will be putting it up for sale. I had someone who was on it for 8.5k at Tatton park but I would not sell it as it had a problem which I am currently sorting out.

So the main question is should I sell it with all its spare parts and there are a lot or should I sell them on thier own realising more money for the sale, they include, Twin headlights and grill, chrome bumpers, DK 4 Speed box, Dielsel conversion kit, Fibreglass top box, lots of various VW engine parts like pipes, bottles, Diesel wiring harness and boxes of nicknaks or should I just throw them all in with the deal, there is also a spare cosworth engine and a full LPG kit for the cosworth engine.

Thing is, when the crewcab goes I want everything else gone in relation to it so I have nothing left over as I want to start my 1967 cooper project again.

Dickspanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Well leakage test has now been completed and worst case senario. Looks like it is loosing compression through rings. Can't get hold of engine builder so my mechanic is letting the sunlight into the motor next week to see why or where the problem is. Going to drop the piston and conrod out to inspect the ring and bore.

Just for info.

Cylinder leakage test was carried out on pot six. Air could be heard escaping from engine and a slow stream of air could be felt from dipstick.

Tested pot 5 and when pressure was applied it turned the engine (engine was in compression cycle).

Oil was applied to pot 6, test repeated and it turned the engine.

Under both tests no leak was found at gasket or valve seals.

Looks like a new set of rings (possible all 6) and a full set of seals to be fitted while the engine is stripped. And of course anything else that may be needed. Anybody and anasol for cooling purposed. :shock: Well and truely spanked.

Good news is, dependant on how long it takes for parts, should be up and running again for end of January and hopefull will do more MPG, just got to fabricate a new exhaust again, maybe a different layout and make it a bit more meaty sounding this time, however it did make children cry at Tatton park. LOL.

I will post a couple of pictures of the rebuild of the motor and damage found next week hopefully.

Dickpsanner :roll: :roll:

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Post by ..lee.. »

have you priced parts for that motor. shure some stuff is a bit pricey for them.
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

The biggest problem is the availability of the parts, it appears I can get a lot of parts from Burton Power and some are still available from Frod themself, and then there is Eblag as well and my other contacts in the Cosworth world.

Should be able to get it up and running soon, just can not order any parts for her untill we have let the sunlight in and found out what the problem is.

Hopefully will be placing an order on Friday if mechanic strips the motor on Thursday.

Dickspanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

Epiphone
80-90 Mem No: 7754

Post by Epiphone »

did everyone see this, just round the corner from me
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... _500wt_985

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

What are the details of the advert, is it for the full conversion or just some parts to do the conversion.

New job takes me all over the country so not done anything to the crewcab for many weeks.

Had a chat with mechanic this weekend and he said if he has chance he will do some more work on it this week.

Not forgotten, just nothing happened and no work done. Rare I get on PC at the moment, when I have any further info I will post it on here.

Dickspanner.

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Been doing a lot of soul searching over the last couple of months and have now got this idea in my head.

The cosworth engine is being rebuilt. this will hopefully be completed soon, posts will follow on the rebuild, however:-

I have decided she has got to go to raise some capital for another project.

Although she raised a lot of interest at Tatton park, especially the mearcat effect when I fired her up, the were much rougher vans going and actually sold for more money than I was asking for her.

My thoughts are that the Cossy motor has limited the sales market for it considerably and if I install a 1.9 Diesel back in it I can get full money for it and it will attract more buyers as a stock crewcab. Those who have sean it will verify it is a mint tub and it always surprises people when I pop the lid and show them what is inside as it does look stock.

So should I install a 1.9 Diesel back in her and sell her to a purist and crate up the cossy motor for another project (Cobra), as the motor cost me over 3k to build.

If you feel the answer is yes, then how much should I be looking at to get myself a 1.9TD engine will everything I need to install into the crewcab. I know I will have to install a new tank and fuel lines, but I did leave the Diesel harness in place so it will be a case of plugging the harness back in etc.

So I need every thing except the gearbox, driveshafts etc.

May pay me dividend just to buy a rotten 1.9TD and rip it all out and brak the rest of the van....

Dickspanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

faggie

Post by faggie »

dont take the cosworth motor out , repair and use it , its just not right putting a smokey gutless oil burner in after you have sampled the power , if you really have to sell the crewie sell it with the cosworth motor fitted

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

I know what you are saying Faggie, however having the cosworth power plant in it narrows the buyers down and she needs to go this summer.

It is awesome with the Cosworth motor in and people who have been in it will confirm it is just rude, especially when the volume is cranked up, you can smoke it in the first three gears without really trying, however more people out there would buy it with the Diesel in. It will not realise the money with the Cossy motor in and then I would have to start again with a powerplant for the cobra wheen I build that. This way I save 3k on the cobra project and put a monster engine in that.

Lets face it, if someone wanted a mint crewcab and two were next to each other, one stock with a Diesel in and mine with the cossy power plantock one as it is easier to insure, I am OK as I have a trader policy.

Dickspanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

hairyuk
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by hairyuk »

i've been thinking about your dilema and thought i'd throw another idea into the stewpot.
seeing as you've already got a ford adapter plate and the clutch and everything is working why not look into fitting a modern ford turbo diesel engine in there?
i know it might mean it's turned into a bit of a project but a ford diesel might be easier and cheaper to get hold of and it'll make it stand out from other t25 crewcabs with the normal vw tdi engines.
seems a shame to waste all the hard work thats gone into already by just fitting another vw engine when you've got the option to fit an alternative, economical readily available engines in there

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

The adaptor plate is for the colone (SP) or Essex ford V6 engine so it is limited to those (professional plate rather than slab of steel with holes drilled in various locations) it has a machined mounting face so doubt (but not saying definatly) will only fit another motor.

I know that by sticking a stock motor back in, the grand or so for the plate, ultra light weight flywheel, comp 4 cluch and starter will then be redundant, but should be able to sell them on there own as clucth has only done 450 miles. Some beetle VW man should want those if not a T25 person.

Could put any motor in required as proved with the Cossy engine, just not got time for it all pal, stock motor can be fitted in a few hours and the thing can be up and running ready to sell.

Could offer the full conversion up for sale so someone could stick it in their bus as all the hard work is done and it could be fitted in less than a day, but would not get the money for it to justify the sale. It would be better using the cossy motor in a kitcar to get my value for money back for it. It was blisteringly quick in the crewcab weighing over 2 tons, put that in a vehicle weighing less than a ton and I will need a sink plunger to get the eyeballs from the back of my head. LOL.

Anyhow, still not definate, just considering how to make it more sellable to the masses at the next VW show it goes to.

Dickspanner

Proud sponcer of the hokey cokey Cosworth conversion.

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner