VW V8 Project

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

DentedDevon
80-90 Mem No: 1747

VW V8 Project

Post by DentedDevon »

We've been on the lookout for a van after 18 vanless months.
Saw some rough ones and some nice (new paint hiding who knows what ?)
Saw this one on ebay , its an '89 panel van with rear windows and a V8 !
I spoke to owner Stu (who also has a fantastic Caravelle) who said the body was sound.
He bought it already converted, but didnt have time or space for it.
Bought it without seeing it ! Got it transported home using http://www.shiply.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (recommended !)
The Body is sound as promised, plenty of dents ,no sign of welding but several variations in paint colour where it has been tidied up over the years, need footwells , panel above front bumper and a little bit of work behind back wheels.
What about the V8 ?
Range Rover fuel injected 3.9 mated to VW gearbox , dont know code yet, will have to be gentle with the loud pedal !
Gearbox has been moved forwards to make more room ( drive shaft angle dosnt look too bad, not planning high mileage so not too bothered)
Nicely made exhaust system , subtle - side exit & hardly visible ,sounds nice but not too loud.
Not so good is the way the conversion has been done, think "rat" school of engineering.
Rear bodywork has been cut extensivly, although only the waterpump pully centre sticks out beyond the line of the original body work.
Interior, cab original and will clean up well , in the back , a second hand R&R seat and not much more. Will redo as a day van.
Planning on re doing the rear body work to put back some strength, pull out engine and gearbox for check over and tidy up.
So... quite a bit of work to do, but wouldnt want it any other way!
Last edited by DentedDevon on 30 Jun 2012, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
1986 Devon Caravette, Subaru 2.5 Quad Cam

Cableguy
80-90 Mem No: 8585

Re: VW V8 Project

Post by Cableguy »

Got any pics of the engine?
Saw a really bad v8 conversion a while back. Bloke had cut a huge chunk out the rear, all the pulleys were hanging out the back.

DentedDevon

Post by DentedDevon »

Exhaust exits just behind sliding door , you can just see the tip of it
You can see the lines where everything has been cut down from the engine hatch !
Yes , you can see the pulleys between the number plate and the bumper ! but it is not necessary.
When finished the numberplate will still be extended to hide the waterpump pully.

Cableguy

Post by Cableguy »

Actually looks ok, only critiscism from what I can see is that the rear end looks like it was cut away and not fixed back very well.
What sort of power is it making?

DentedDevon

Post by DentedDevon »

Book figures for the engine are
185 bhp / 138kw @ 4750 rpm
236 lb ft / 320nm @ 2600 rpm
The engine is a similar age to the van so I expect it will be down on these figures by now , but still enough to be fun !
I now have the rear valance and back floor section from a scrap van .
This will be used to do a better job of the back and build up the rear floor with a proper engine hatch hole , as per SA 5 cylinder vans.

DentedDevon

Post by DentedDevon »

Well.... making some progress on it now.
After talking to Faggie decided to go for electric waterpump.
Ive been able to cut down the water pump housing and reduced the crankshaft pully to a single instead of double.
This in turn means that the back panel will look fairly standard without any extensions or holes.
Made new cross member and mountings for engine plus fitted extra plates in chassis for it to attach to.
The secondhand rear body section is now in 3 bits.
A rear valance/panel that can be removed for maintenance and engine removal.
Rear slam panel/cross member for the tailgate, now fully welded in.
And a rear floor section for the engine hatch.
15 metres of 30mm box section have been made into a frame to take the raised floor section. the engine bay part of it lined with 1mm sheet steel and brackets added to support surrounding floor panels etc .And the s/h floor section welded in.
Hope to get this painted this weekend, it will be ready for fitting then.
Other bits, new mounting bracket made and fitted for 90 ah bosch alternator, buisy designing and making a control box for the electric pump.
Not enough hours in the day !

t25adict
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by t25adict »

ive been told that its quite normal to change these v8´s over to using electric water pumps as the standard ones are not all that in the first place. the other reason is the kit car guys like them (more often in the back) so it can make for better cooling.
one konversion kit i saw had a water flow sensor, looked like a bit of tube with a flap in it. if the electric pump stopped working the flap would spring shut and set off a buzzer/light on dash.

is it matted to a 4 or 5 speed box?
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough

t25adict
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by t25adict »

ive been told that its quite normal to change these v8´s over to using electric water pumps as the standard ones are not all that in the first place. the other reason is the kit car guys like them (more often in the back) so it can make for better cooling.
one konversion kit i saw had a water flow sensor, looked like a bit of tube with a flap in it. if the electric pump stopped working the flap would spring shut and set off a buzzer/light on dash.

is it matted to a 4 or 5 speed box?
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough

DentedDevon

Post by DentedDevon »

Mated to 4 speed gearbox (ABD I think), standard gearing as far as I can tell. It will stay that way for this year. I am planning on fitting a rev counter , then I'll be able to see what changes are needed .
Ive finnished my control box for the pumps , gives 3 speeds low and medium are adjustable, fast is max.
linked to intermotor switch in thermostat housing , matched to 82 degree stat.
Also has adjustable timer built in so pump runs on after ignition switched off

The raised floor is painted and installed.
Made brackets and pipe work for the intake system , polo headertank & electric pumps.
Engine and gearbox now removed & seperated
Spigot bush was a sloppy, ill fitting lump of steel!
Have had a bush machined so VW spigot bush fits in Rover crankshaft.
Tonight Ive finnished making & fitting new cooling pipes to bring water from VW pipes to rear of engine bay .
Tomorrow ... take adaptor plate of gearbox , it only utilises half of fixing bolts on the rover bell housing so will be drilling it to pick up on as many as possible.
Might not be too long before its all back together and off for an MOT :D

Cableguy

Post by Cableguy »

Which pump did you use, I'm looking at the electric option for my v6.
My engine is well known for having cooling problems and my new 3.5 stroker conversion will make cooling more of an issue.
Where abouts does the pump fit in your install?

DentedDevon

Post by DentedDevon »

Im using 2 davies craig EWP80 pumps in parallel.
I originally wanted the EWP115 , 115 litres/min, but a new EWP80 came up at the right price, with a used one thrown in !
Ive tested them and a single pump seem to manage about 60 litres/min , but thats with just 2 feet of 1 1/2 inch discharge hose on .
Being as Ive got 2 pumps I decided I might as well use them , better too much flow and turning it down than not enough.
The pumps are mounted in the N/S rear corner of the engine bay, connected with home made manifolds.
Maximum current draw will be 15 amps.

Cableguy

Post by Cableguy »

Sounds pretty good. I'm struggling with the design on mine. Not sure whether to remove existing pump impeller or make something up to blank it off and remove the whole housing. The thermostat housing is a weak point on mine too. Was also looking at that davies craig setup. Cab controller is pretty cool(pun intended)
shame i'm so far from you or i'd love to take a look.

DentedDevon

Post by DentedDevon »

On the rover pump the bearing housing addsabout 4" to the overall length of the engine.
I pressed out the bearings , shaft and impeller. Cut off the bearing housing , then got an aluminium disc tig welded into the hole left in the pump housing.
I will try and post some pictures in a few days time, if I can get into my photo bucket account !

DentedDevon

Post by DentedDevon »

Raining tonight so here are some pictures.
Firstly cooling system stuff as mentioned last week
Pair of Davies Craig EWP80's mounted in NSR corner of engine bay

New pipework running back along os chassis

Control box for pumps

And whats inside - hope it works how Ive planned it :oops:

Bodywork stuff ....
A distinct lack of metal . Old cross member nearest on ground , behind it new section waiting to be welded in.

And its in . Tail gate now shuts with a nice solid clunk instea of a tinny clang !

Raised floor section finished , in primer

Painted and installed , Intake system taking shape with LR air box

More in a moment....

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

That looks really good. I like that!!! :ok
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk