1Y engine conversion

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

blue67
80-90 Mem No: 6646

1Y engine conversion

Post by blue67 »

Hi guys,

After reading a few threads i have taken the plunge and bought a 1y lump to replace the tired cs in my van, the 1y is complete bar the alternator.

I have searched and serched but i am struggling to find answers to simple questions.

I want to swap to a 1y because i thought it would be near enough a straight swap and get my bus moving again.

Would i be correct in thinking i need to use my old fly wheel and clutch?
if so is this a straight forward swap?
can i use my original inlet and exhaust manifolds and exhaust down pipe and silencer?
i will have to swap the sump and oil filler, alternater and asc brackets, is there any other parts i will need to salvage from my old engine? water pump or oil pump?

I think thats it for the moment, but i will probably have more questions along the way . . . .

In anticipation of all ou help - thanx :ok :ok :ok
1967 VW Beetle (nearly finished but on the road)

http://www.blue67.co.uk

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Re: 1Y engine conversion

Post by weldore »

all you really need from the 1y is the block and head and pump ..including the cam belt sprockets..more or less everything else is from the old engine
also you will need a spigot bearing for when you put the flywheel on from the old engine.thats available from brickwerks :ok
saying its a simple swap is a bit of an understatement as there is a fair bit of work swapping parts over and the problems that happens as you do it.
if you decide to do it i would advise you take care with all the bits on both engines that are easily broken..the one way valve for the brake servo being one of them.plenty on here that can give you guidence and also take a look at bigdaves thread below..good luck :ok
Last edited by weldore on 20 Sep 2010, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

weldore

Post by weldore »

oh and also keep the exhaust and inlet manifold off the 1y and put it in the shed for a creative day :ok

peteabbott
80-90 Mem No: 4672

Post by peteabbott »

Well worth the swap. You can almost get a step by step guide on here. Good luck.
Pete Abbott

blue67

Post by blue67 »

weldore wrote:all you really need from the 1y is the block and head and pump ..including the cam belt sprockets..more or less everything else is from the old engine
also you will need a spigot bearing for when you put the flywheel on from the old engine.thats available from brickwerks :ok
saying its a simple swap is a bit of an understatement as there is a fair bit of work swapping parts over and the problems that happens as you do it.
if you decide to do it i would advise you take care with all the bits on both engines that are easily broken..the one way valve for the brake servo being one of them.plenty on here that can give you guidence and also take a look at bigdaves thread below..good luck :ok

So i will need the oil pump and water pump? can i reuse the 1Y vacpump?
what about the oil filter/coller can i use the 1Y one or will i need the CS one?
Is there a gasket for the exhaust maninfold to head and the inlet manifold to head? will i need new ones of those as well as a sump gasket?
Will the original 1Y dipstick and tube be ok or will i need that from the CS too?

All these questions!! Sorry!!! :ok

weldore

Post by weldore »

So i will need the oil pump
...you need to change the oil strainer if you keep the 1y oil pump..or just change the pump and strainer over from the cs

and water pump?
...use the water pump and alterator setup from the cs(unless you keep the 1y alt and water pump setup)

can i reuse the 1Y vacpump?
...ahhh the vac pump is another thing you will need to keep from the 1y,be very carefull with it as they tend to snap off easy.

what about the oil filter/coller can i use the 1Y one or will i need the CS one?
...oil cooler should be identical to the cs

Is there a gasket for the exhaust maninfold to head and the inlet manifold to head? will i need new ones of those
...the inlet manifold ports are a D shape on the 1y and the cs are a 0 shape..the D is very close to the the
outsides of the cs gasket so i used both gaskets from both engines on mine.if memory serves the exhaust ports were identical

as well as a sump gasket?
...when you buy your spigot bearing buy a new standard sump gasket for it (same as the 1.6 and 1.7)and throw away the windage tray/baffle setup from the 1y

Will the original 1Y dipstick and tube be ok or will i need that from the CS too?
...thats the fun bit...you can leave the 1y in but it wont really give you a reading so its best to use the old dipstick and tube..but you need to bugger about with it a bit as the 1y hole is larger(there are plenty of posts on here about doing it)...if you decide to swap it over then knock the old 1y one out while the sump is off

:mrgreen:

peteabbott
80-90 Mem No: 4672

Post by peteabbott »

Well done Weldore Dave, good answers. The dipstick........I used a piece of 8mm nylon tube with a 6mm bore which was a tight tap in fit on the 1Y and the KY dip tube pushed into it nice and snuggly with no leaks.
Pete Abbott

weldore

Post by weldore »

hmm i wonder if a section of 8mm copper pipe(the stuff for ya gas)is the same internal dia..hmmm

blue67

Post by blue67 »

i have just started to pull bits of the 1y and un bolted the sump to find that something is stopping it coming off!! dont really wanna force it just yet, dunno what i might bust . . . . any one got any ideas please? :?:

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

I imagine it will be the sump gasket "tray" catching on the oil pump. Move it side to side and rock it a bit and it should come off no problems.

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

blue67

Post by blue67 »

Thanx for that, I got the sump of by splitting it from the gasket.

Quick question do I need to use the pick up pipe from the cs? I was planning on using the 1y oil pump. Do I need to change it? :?:

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

Most definitely need to change it. I'd also put a new one in if you have a spare £45...

The 1Y one wont fit with the diesel sump....
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

blue67

Post by blue67 »

Does the oil pump just unbolt from underneath?

blue67

Post by blue67 »

I have removed the oil strainer and pump from the 1Y i intend to use the 1Y oil pump with thw
e CS oil strainer, which i have yet to remove. i wanna remove the 1Y dipstick tube and use the CS dipstick and tube with a bush or spacer. I am having trouble working out how to remove to 1Y dipstick tube, is it just pressed in from the outside, do i just drift it out from below?

Am i going to be able to transfer the crankshaft pulley and waterpump pulley on to the 1Y water pump?

i know its a lot of questions and i am sure there will be more, but thanx to erverone who can help. :ok

weldore

Post by weldore »

yes use a suitable drift to push it out from below :ok
if your goimg to use the old setup then swap the waterpump body too