Replace 1.9 Engine with 2.1 or Subaru?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mhowood
80-90 Mem No: 16870

Re: Replace 1.9 Engine with 2.1 or Subaru?

Post by mhowood »

I was thinking along the same lines, triumph2.5pi.
I had a 1.9 and was becoming frustrated with the power when faced with the slightest incline, or if fully loaded for camping with the family, dog, bikes, kitchen sink, small nuclear reactor etc. It being a hightop probably didn't help.
Subaru seemed the way to go, but it's expensive and I've heard they can come with 6 months of gremlins to sort out.
My mechanic told me adding fuel injection to take the 2.1 would be too much work. Sounds like you go a different answer! Glad it worked out.

I wrestled with changing engine for years, as better the devil you know, right? I knew my van was in good nick overall: no rust on bodywork, chassis in good condition, lots of perishables replaced over the last couple of years...
In the end, I decide to sell and I'm looking for a 'new' T25 that's already had the engine work done. The decider was I wanted to go for a pop top (I had a hightop), that and a new engine just added up to too much. 

I'd be really interested to hear how life with the 2.1 is. I hope you see bigger gains when it's bedded in.

philmcC - I actually had a 2WD Autohomes Komet. Wish I'd spoken to you!
Da dan - hadn't heard of using a Golf engine before!

Do you need to tell DVLA about engine change?

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

I have the Marco Mansi 1:35 ratio rockers on my DG and am now pushing out 85bhp after being set up on a Dyno (details can be seen on my thread here):

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=173273

You could try something like this and a set of twin carbs (set up properly) for that additional power increase.  The cost would be a fraction of any engine change.   
'86 DG, Weber Carb

triumph2.5pi
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by triumph2.5pi »

mhowood wrote: 20 Dec 2021, 11:27 I was thinking along the same lines, triumph2.5pi.
I had a 1.9 and was becoming frustrated with the power when faced with the slightest incline, or if fully loaded for camping with the family, dog, bikes, kitchen sink, small nuclear reactor etc. It being a hightop probably didn't help.
Subaru seemed the way to go, but it's expensive and I've heard they can come with 6 months of gremlins to sort out.
My mechanic told me adding fuel injection to take the 2.1 would be too much work. Sounds like you go a different answer! Glad it worked out.

I wrestled with changing engine for years, as better the devil you know, right? I knew my van was in good nick overall: no rust on bodywork, chassis in good condition, lots of perishables replaced over the last couple of years...
In the end, I decide to sell and I'm looking for a 'new' T25 that's already had the engine work done. The decider was I wanted to go for a pop top (I had a hightop), that and a new engine just added up to too much. 

I'd be really interested to hear how life with the 2.1 is. I hope you see bigger gains when it's bedded in.

philmcC - I actually had a 2WD Autohomes Komet. Wish I'd spoken to you!
Da dan - hadn't heard of using a Golf engine before!

Do you need to tell DVLA about engine change?

Yes indeed, so many choices…I thought originally that Subaru would be the way to go, but for my own situation - as someone who wanted a “turn key” solution - that was going to cost at least £6-8k depending on the engine choice, and even then you’re basically getting a second hand engine, and an old, highish mileage one at that at the lower end, with parts supply maybe becoming an issue. So a fully rebuilt 2.1DJ seemed on balance the best bet for me. Still over £6k though with all the new ancillaries, clutch, coolant pipes etc, but no point in doing a half arsed job. Nowhere near the increase in power/torque of a Subaru engine of course, but enough to make a difference and I’m hoping fuel injection might add 10-15% somewhere down the line. Something like this maybe https://www.classicfuelinjection.co.uk/
1988 Autosleeper High Top
2.1DJ (Pierburg carb)
AAP 5 Speed, 711 Shifter

Dueller
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Dueller »

I rebuilt my 1.9 last summer and while fine im looking for a change, mainly for mpg, longevity (main bearings anyone?) and simple drive ability straight off the key

Being a little different, i'm looking at a Ford ST170 as it does around 30mpg so if i go LPG further down the road then that's a bonus. Initially i wanted a Chevy LS1 but missed out buying the engine cheap enough as ideally you want an engine that's as new as possible, ECU controlled, fits in the hole under the lid, doesn't have exotic mods to make it fit. even better is if you can still buy new from the factory, even if just a short motor.

I bought an adapter off ebay for it as Zetec and CVH bolt patterns are the same so assume it came from a kit car project way back when. I then planned a 2.0 Zetec Mondeo engine until i stumbled into the ST170, so bought one and i'm driving it at the moment while i assess the project but its bags of fun so far and there's a massive Zetec RWD support forum to help which is really active with current projects. Costs are all pretty much the same for conversion adapter kit/wiring/ECU mods and the only unknown is the engine cost and servicing or future proofing the head gaskets and suchlike. I'm not chasing numbers either here for the most BHP or tunability, i want a simply factory engine that delivers the goods as standard.

I've done Subaru, Chevy, Rover, Nissan, Golf and Mazda rotary conversions over the years so this is new to me. I came across the Bostig conversion Focus 2.0 and all the notes/vids that go with it and have to say the reasoning behind one as a conversion is pretty sound i think having done others, my van is an auto so that's been an initial query but have had some help with that on here.

It helps that i've a busted autobox in bits so i can cover off most line up/fitment issues before i start to swap it in. I'm pretty sure i'm capable of dealing with the odd install issues its bound to throw up but shall see. Once its bolted in, then you wire it, start it (motivation to finish!) then its plumbing and exhaust, same for every conversion really as you don't want to get to the end and it wont run...

Regardless of which way you go there will fans and haters of the conversion you do along with problems encountered but its for you to enjoy the drive

1989 Crewcab 1600TD JX - Gone to Romania
1989 Caravelle 1.9 AutoBox