oil trap

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

oil trap

Post by Jim San »

Anyone fitted an oil trap?

Van is currently waiting to go under the knife to have a couple of oil seals replaced and a water jacket plug to fix the oil leaks and water useage.

Garage included in quote to fit oil trap (becuase it hasn't got one).  I've not had full details yet, i'll hopefully learn more tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

It's a 1.9 1Z diesel
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: oil trap

Post by Aidan »

diesels especially (all engines now have recirculation) should have rocker cover connected to inlet manifold with a diaphragm regulator so they recirculate the engine internal oil vapours, the valve means they burn the vapour as fuel at high revs, deleting this is usually a lazy solution to another issue, either failed valve or worn engine (pressurising crank case, skirt coolers passing, ring blow by etc.) or a bodge to get through MOT

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Re: oil trap

Post by Jim San »

Aidan wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 08:01 diesels especially (all engines now have recirculation) should have rocker cover connected to inlet manifold with a diaphragm regulator so they recirculate the engine internal oil vapours, the valve means they burn the vapour as fuel at high revs, deleting this is usually a lazy solution to another issue, either failed valve or worn engine (pressurising crank case, skirt coolers passing, ring blow by etc.) or a bodge to get through MOT

sounds like a good thing then - almost like another turbo :rollin   

But - fitting one could highlight the issues you mentioned and remove the blissful ignorance I curently have

So am I right in thinking the system depends on high revving to burn off the vapour - and that without the high revs the vapours just build up and sit there - does this just negate the system or do they naturally dissipate - or does it present new problems?  
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'