1.8 t at 50 degrees

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

1.8 t at 50 degrees

Post by axeman »

About a year ago I bought a 1.9 rhd un cut panel van. At the time I also owned a 1998 a4 1.8t one owner full service history car. With a damaged head lining.
I then bought an new van and something had to give. A4 was worh less so out came the engine and loom and a plan was formed. After an odd year and variouse part taking up space in the garage it was time to put them all together.
I have used a single mass flywheel with a 215mm friction plate fro a 2.0 mk4 golf which fits in side the jx bellhousung.
On the turbo side I have used an epytec tdi mount and made a mount for the other side.
At present I have used syncro engine bars but its not going to clear the hatch so some more head scratching needed.
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

axeman

Re: 1.8 t at 50 degrees

Post by axeman »

So as the syncro bars done solve the hatch issue I have switched them back to the 2wd bar this has raised the engine but will solve another issue of the gear box mount not needing to be lowered. So the engine and the gear box are now sitting at the standard diesle location.

I also made some progress of the intake pipe work using variouse fittings that were in the garage. All vag bar a reducing silacone elbow. I need to source an air filter housing and will draw air in via a duct from the left air vent.

axeman

Post by axeman »

Made a start on the exhaust ths everning using an old (early) jx system that I had in the garage. And the uses of a 60mm flexy that I sourced during the week..

I am hoping that the jx silencer will work and keep the sound down. Time will tell. With I little luck a trip to the scrap yard tomorrow will produce a manifold for the chop.

DSM
80-90 Mem No: 1274

Post by DSM »

Hi Neil,
          looking good! Have a look at the transverse engine intake manifold as it should reduce the height a fair bit. More plumbing though!
Regards Duncan.

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

I think my exhaust system would have benefitted form one of those flexible sections.  Current was is almost toast and leaking, I'll make a note to include one on the new system.
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

axeman

Post by axeman »

DSM wrote: 09 Jan 2021, 11:22 Hi Neil,
looking good! Have a look at the transverse engine intake manifold as it should reduce the height a fair bit. More plumbing though!
Regards Duncan.

The scrap yard was closed today which was anoying so no manifolds to play with with. I went to see a friend who seam welded the exhaust j pipe for me. Very happy with the result and should hold up.

A parcel arived containing a jx tstat to the front to back pipes with the aux hose to the aux heater this will be my coolent feed from a goldfish bowl header tank. The tank will be mounted on a corado surport bracket.

The front to back pipes have replaced with 2wd diesle ones and new 16mm heater hoses as these pass above the fuel tank. Fortunatley i had the correct diesle pipe to fire wall wire clip in stick The fi tank was given a healthy coat of stone chip and all the breather hoses replaced. Its quite a faff changing this lot all hoses and re fitting the tank. They have been clamped with ss clips and collets in the breather pipe.

axeman

Post by axeman »

Boost pipes all run to the charge cooler and no a bundle of wires to sort out where they will live in the van. Still lots to do but moving forward none the less.

axeman

Post by axeman »

DSM

Post by DSM »

Used the same reservoir and charge cooler on mine. It coped easily with over 1 bar boost with inlet temperature only 15 degrees C above ambient in the summer. The high boost was caused by poor wastegate actuator response. Now reigned in to 0.5 bar which is much more comfortable. Check the section of hose from N75 to wastegate actuator inside the heat protection sleeve mine had gone porous causing the high boost and was not easy to diagnose.

axeman

Post by axeman »

Hi Duncan. Thanks for the tip i have already replaced the vacume lines from the n75 valve as I had to move the turbo intake pipe backwards about 55mm to accommodate the engine mount. The n75 is mounted to this intake pipe.

I have also mounted the matching subaru charge cooler radiator to a new main radiator. Fortunately I had a range variouse molded 16mm sections that allowd me to conect tobthe charge cooler rad.

DSM

Post by DSM »

Careful with that line as the original has a tiny orifice that joins the first section to the heatproof section. This is to damp the wastegate actuator response otherwise the boost cut will be quite savage. Mine was like slamming the brakes on at 4000 rpm. The good news is that the early management system is so robust that you can miss-connect most of the sensors and the engine will still run and drive reasonably well which was why it took me a while to diagnose the ridiculous power i was getting.

axeman

Post by axeman »

Charge cooler system is now full of 50/50 g12+ (its what I had in the garge). Very easy to blead using the subaru rad which has a blead screw and a drain tap.

The pump has been mounted just behind the fuel tank, i have installed a relay which recives its swich signal from the altinator feild signal so the pump is only running when the engine is running.

axeman

Post by axeman »

axeman

Post by axeman »

I decided that I did not want to have the ecu and associated relays and fuses inside the van ad it may compromise future use of the van. So I decided to mount it between the body and the inner skin of the van. In due course I will have a protective plate made to protect the loom from any road debris throw up by the rear tyre.

axeman

Post by axeman »

Well it starts and runs so a very happy bunny. Still stuff to do before the first test drive but looking forward to it.