VR6 engine in a T25

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

josephcarey1
80-90 Mem No: 0

VR6 engine in a T25

Post by josephcarey1 »

Hi guys,
I’m Joe from Surrey.
I’m new here and this is my first post.
So, I’ve recently bought a 2.1DG T25 Caravelle.

The engine was losing water and after inspection I could see the head gaskets were actually leaking. All anti freeze coloured water on the heads and can see water very slightly escaping.
Heads removed and they’re cracked in the usual place between the valves. Rather than spend the money on new heads and gasket kits, I have just been given a 1998 Sharan with the 2.8 VR6 engine in. I got given it because the diff has gone. It’s the 4motion one. So I’m going to use the engine in my T25 and use any other bits I can such as the rear discs, etc.

Anyway, I’ve searched the forum and can’t find any info for what I’m after, so I was wondering if anyone can provide some advice, please.

I’ve seen on another forum that goes back a few years now where a conversion plate is needed to join the T25 gear box to the engine. Does anyone know where I can get one? I’ve spent hours looking on google, but no joy other than someone on Shpock selling one for £100, but that got sold.

My gearbox is a 5 speed. I’ve heard mixed things about using the standard gearboxes. What’s everyone else’s opinion? Will the standard transmissions handle the 176bhp from the VR6 engine. It’s not like I’m going to be going mad with it.
Anyone had any experience with using Porsche boxster transmissions at all?

Now the Sharan is actually auto which means my engine has no flywheel. So I’ll need to get one unless somehow my 2.1DJ will fit.

As for wiring and all of those bits, should not be a problem. I have a whole car to use for bits and I’m good with the electronics too, so that’s the least of my worries :)

I’m going to document and photo everything I do, so I’ll share it with everyone.

Many thanks!

JC

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: VR6 engine in a T25

Post by davidoft1 »

Sounds interesting

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

The VR6 is tall and quite thirsty, you'll also have to raise the engine hatch about 80mm iirc to get it in.
You'll need a suitable flywheel.

176 bhp and the torque that goes with it should be ok on a suitably built 5-speed, I would think that a 4.14 (29/7) final drive would work quite well.

josephcarey1

Post by josephcarey1 »

Yeah I had a feeling the hatch would need to be raised. No problem though. You can do anything with some metal, a grinder and a welder :)

I was looking at other engines before the VR6 came up.
Some of my options would have been a ford V6 2.5 dohc found in the mondeo, also the 2.6 V6 vauxhall from an Omega or Vectra. Zetecs came to mind and even considered a diesels. The Peugeot 2.0 HDi would have been a favourable option.

Does anyone know where an adapter plat to mate the VR6 engine to the standard 5 speed gearbox can be sourced from at all?

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

Kennedy in the states may well do an adapter plate kit to suit the petrol bellhousing and the V6 engine and that would also include a flywheel and clutch
I may be wrong but the V6 maybe the 'audi' bolt pattern and so could also use the SA bellhousing, but I think people mostly use adapters

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

Personally I’d sell the gas guzzling VR6 and something else, then buy a new 2.5 WBX off SilverBullet. Bolts straight in.
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

http://www.ds-tuning.com/adapter.html

Sell it on golf forums for a conversion for them and put a Gti in it. Will save a whole heap of misery and expense unless you have a pile of disposable income and lots of patience.

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

Wasn't there a syncro with aV6 Corrado engine ome years ago. Don't know if there was a build diary for it
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

josephcarey1

Post by josephcarey1 »

Thanks for everyones help so far.
I could sell the VR6 engine, but it only cost me about £150 for the whole Sharan. I have everything there needed minus the flywheel, but that’s it.

When I get back to my computer I will take a look at some of those links.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

The factors against the VR6 are many. It has a unique bellhousing bolt pattern, isnt very fuel efficient, has known timing chain issues...the list goes on.
A VAG V6 with a SA bellhousing makes it a VW Lego exercise.
Unless you are in the engineering game? If so making the necessary parts (accurately) isnt an issue.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

DoubleOSeven wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 07:51 Personally I’d sell the gas guzzling VR6 and something else, then buy a new 2.5 WBX off SilverBullet. Bolts straight in.

A 2wd tintop should be comfortably north of 25mpg once run in, on a run. 27/28 should be acheivable.
Needs to be on 4.57 or 4.14 final drive if its 5-speed.

I have a spare DJ casing bored out ready to start a build, wasnt planning on doing any more but should have all parts in stock shortly, moving towards parts supply but never say never?

josephcarey1

Post by josephcarey1 »

I can’t decide what to do in terms of my gearbox.
Should I use that standard transmission or look at a porsche one or go for a passat gearbox and flip it.

I’ve got the money and time to spend, but not sure what is best to do.
I wonder what would be the easiest thing to mate to the 12v VR6 engine.

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

The 'easiest' gearbox to use is a T3 box, and if you've the resources, a properly rebuild/strengthened T3 box should (IMO) be OK with a stock VR6 so long as you don't go mad and try and go everywhere at 80mph. Adapter plates to use the T3 box appear to be available, see links previously posted. Having said that I agree with others on here that there are better choices than the VR6 for a T3 engine upgrade.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

josephcarey1

Post by josephcarey1 »

So I’m revisiting what I started last year after getting my 2.1DJ rebuilt. Been taking the bus out a bit recently and it’s not the quickest thing to drive. Takes forever to get to 60mph. I know that’s probably to be expected but I did expect a little more from it.
It’s a bit painful.

So here’s the thing, right.
I have a 1998 2.8 vr6 Sharan syncro I am breaking up. I was going to fix it up and use it, but with a cracked screen and a poorly transfer box made me decided to break it up.
I want to use the engine and put it in the T25. I literally have everything I need from the car to get the engine in. Sadly the car is auto so I need to get a flywheel.

I’ve been looking at options for gearboxes and want some advice on what could be the best gearbox to use to “make it fit”
Anyone got any thoughts at all?
I’ve seen a few on the internet for good prices.
They are...
A gearbox from an Audi 80 2.6 - it might be a suitable fit or candidate for modification providing it can be flipped like the passat ones.

A gearbox from an A4 or Passat B5. Most likely one from the Passat V5 or 1.8t. Not sure what the ratios are on these so would have to check.

The other option which came to mind would have been a Renault transaxle. Not a UN1 or UN5 but there are some from the older Espace which might be an option. I’ve not looked into this one too much, but figured it might be an option.

I don’t want to use my original T25 gearbox. To be honest I don’t really like it and I think it’s not that good as in probably doesn’t have much life left in it. I talked Kenedy about the conversion kit and didn’t fancy spending the £600 they quoted me for use with my original transmission that I don’t even like or want.

25mpg out of a VR6 is fine by me considering the 2.1DJ does 20mpg if I’m lucky!

JC