Subaru Impreza WRX 2.0lt Turbo Conversion

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Liamhammond
80-90 Mem No: 0

Subaru Impreza WRX 2.0lt Turbo Conversion

Post by Liamhammond »

Hi Forum,

After reading numerous posts and much deliberation, I decided to take the plunge and swap out my old waterboxer for a Subaru Engine. I have sourced what looks to be a decent 2002 2.0lt wrx turbo unit which comes with all the wiring, ECUs, security unit etc. My background is automotive control systems and electronics so, that side of it I'm happy with. I've ordered the RJES conversion bits as well as seals and gaskets as well as new oil and water pumps, timing belt etc. The engine has done 91k and most people have suggested that rebuilding it at this age is a bit premature. We only do a few thousand miles a year in the van so it will be well cared for and driven sensibly. Will be boroscoping it to look for nasties.

The one area I'm probably going to struggle is find information on how to connect back up  the myriad hoses and how to plumb the cooling. I've been informed by RJES that the coolant manifold on this engine can't be reversed, I need one from a MY97 turbo engine or a a pre-2002 NA engine. If anyone happens to have an already reversed manifold that will fit, would love to hear from you.

If I can't reverse it, its not game over but I just wondered if any of you has a good set of photos or a good reference I can go to to figure out what goes where. Have ordered a haynes manual but not sure it will have the sorts of pics I'll need. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.