Which oil pressure switch?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mark S
80-90 Mem No: 1230

Which oil pressure switch?

Post by Mark S »

There is always oil inside the boot of my oil pressure switch atop the filter mounting and so I suspect it might be leaking.  Should be simple job to replace but I see that Brickie is selling four switches of different colours, the only difference between them I can see being operating pressure (0.25 up to 1.8 bar IIRC).  I'm guessing I will want the black (1.4 bar) or white (1.8 bar).  Any pointers?

Running a 1.9TD AAZ using a JX-type setup.  Cheers.
1987 Westy Joker

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Which oil pressure switch?

Post by Aidan »

td use a grey 0.9 for a quiet life, a black 1.4 if the engine is really good, you could get both and see if the 1.4 works even when really hot and bothered, if it doesn't then put the grey one in, if that dosen't work engine is pretty tired

Mark S

Post by Mark S »

Great, many thanks. I had a bottom end rebuild and a new head a few years ago and have not done big mileage since, so the lump should be in pretty good nick. I’ll try 1.4 in that case, I think
1987 Westy Joker

Mark S

Post by Mark S »

Update: finally did the job and the above was good advice.  The old one was white and had always appeared to work (despite seeping oil) so initially I replaced it with white.  I got intermittent "Buzzer of Doom" on the overrun during the first journey.  I then replaced it with black and all fine.  I guess the old one must have either had a weakened spring or been gummed closed and thus effectively useless.
1987 Westy Joker