Rotate oil cooler?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mark S
80-90 Mem No: 1230

Rotate oil cooler?

Post by Mark S »

1.9TD (AAZ).  As one of the early AAZ 'pioneers', I have just realised (after 17 years) that my oil cooler (sandwich device between block and oil filter) is mounted incorrectly: my coolant hoses exit towards the rear of the bus while other examples I have found on the internet show them pointing upwards.  I figure that if I can rotate the oil cooler by 90 degrees then I can rationalise the hose arrangement to use a stock S-shaped hose to the aux water pump as well as remove a joiner that presumably adds an extra bit of length on the other feed.

Does anyone know what would be involved in turning the oil cooler?  Hopefully a simple job but it would be good to understand the fixings, any requirement for new gaskets etc and other pitfalls (and hence whether it is worth even bothering).

A nice, clear picture of a stock JX would also be really helpful in understanding how the hose arrangement should be.

Thanks, all.

1987 Westy Joker

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Rotate oil cooler?

Post by silverbullet »

All of the VAG oil interwarmers are retained by a large, thin nut (27mm a/f iirc) which is revealed when the oil filter is removed.
There is an o-ring seal between the cooler and engine block, always replace it as they get baked and do not seal after being disturbed.

Mark S
80-90 Mem No: 1230

Re: Rotate oil cooler?

Post by Mark S »

Thanks for this, job done.  Once filter removed it was quite easy to find the thin nut and remove the oil cooler before relocating it the right way.  I was expecting it to be a faff but was pleasantly surprised.  I actually did it before seeing your post but the O-ring looked OK; I'll order a new one now to be sure.

In the process I realised the plumbing was wrong so I'm about to order a proper TD bottom hose to do it properly.  Onwards and upwards!

1987 Westy Joker