Oil pickup + pump

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Bobreoc
80-90 Mem No: 0

Oil pickup + pump

Post by Bobreoc »

Hi.

When converting from jx to ahu or similar, do you have to swap the oil pick up and or pump? If so, why?

Thank you

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Oil pickup + pump

Post by Aidan »

Depends on how you are fitting it, if you are fitting it canted over at silly o'clock using the T3 sump then you need the matching oil pump and pickup, if you fit it at the same angle the engine was in the car you keep the original sump and oil pump and pickup.

Bobreoc
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Bobreoc »

Aidan wrote:Depends on how you are fitting it, if you are fitting it canted over at silly o'clock using the T3 sump then you need the matching oil pump and pickup, if you fit it at the same angle the engine was in the car you keep the original sump and oil pump and pickup.

Cheers, it is canted over. What I’ve done is removed the oil pick up and pump, discarded them from
The old engine so I could stand it up while I remove everything and forgot to compare with the ahu. I ran the engine and I was getting oil pressure issues,

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

On the JX you could find two types of oil pumps. One with 30mm tall gears (early ones but it is more like a CS pump) and a better one with 36mm tall gears.
The 1.9 diesels and TDI-s have 36mm gears. The only difference between the 36mm 1.9 and 1.6 pumps is the pickup tube. The tube can be swapped.
Use the pump which is in better condition with the pickup that suits your install.
New aftermarket pumps have 36mm gear in general, so if you buy a new JX pump that will be good.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th