Dipstick Mod Advice

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

The Hairy Camper
80-90 Mem No: 16820

Dipstick Mod Advice

Post by The Hairy Camper »

Need some advice on a 1Y Dipstick Mod.
I was looking at this post a while back and wanted to do something similar:
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/forum/viewt ... d#p8241650" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I have some free time right now, i began drilling away at my 1Y dipstick.

Managed to drill the lower end to 8mm and the original dipstick fits in (very!) snug.

In the original post by Rouge Trader, it sounds as though he pushed the whole original dipstick through the 1Y dipstick. Because of the angle at the end of the original dipstick, i think this will be very difficult due to the bend it has in it.

My thoughts are that maybe i could cut the 1Y dipstick off just above the part that mounts to the engine, then insert the original dipstick through that, with some type of industrial sealer? It's a really snug fit which should work well?

I know there are already simpler ways to do this, but I think this will look more original and tidy.

Thoughts/advice??

Cheers.

1984 Autosleeper, pop-top, 1.7 KY, 5-Speed

The Hairy Camper
80-90 Mem No: 16820

Re: Dipstick Mod Advice

Post by The Hairy Camper »

So, I went ahead with my own idea anyway. If this works(!), someone else may find it useful.

I went ahead and cut the 1Y dipstick just above where it slots in (after reaming/drilling it out to 8mm!):

I then ground the surface down smooth:

I then applied some moly grease and began to ease the original dipstick through:
I found it easier to install the 1Y dipstick (what's left of it) back into the engine and then gently rotate the original dipstick back and forth until it slips through. It's a tight fit (and there is a slight angle at the base)!

After a bit of persuation, it slips through and sits quite nicely:

Doesn't quite line up with any holes near the injection pump, but an adaptor could be made pretty easily:

I was thinking of using some of this to secure the dipsticks together?

May see how it runs without it first, as it's a very snug fit. Looks quite tidy and original too :D

Cheers,
HC.
1984 Autosleeper, pop-top, 1.7 KY, 5-Speed