Late/early diesel engine mounts

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jerrybus
80-90 Mem No: 0

Late/early diesel engine mounts

Post by jerrybus »

Hi will the diesel engine mounts from an 82 bus (currently supporting an AEF) be compatible with an 89 WBX. Thinking of a transplant but have read comments on here about 'early' and 'late' engine mounts?

Cecil

Re: Late/early diesel engine mounts

Post by Cecil »

No ,completely different.

jerrybus

Post by jerrybus »

Thanks Cecil, re read my question and I' not sure it explains what I meant. Would the later engine bay still have the mounting points for the early diesel set up if I was converting to diesel? You maybe realised what I meant however badly framed....

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

I wouldn’t know if the mounting places are there ,or in the correct position for early and late diesel engine mounting bars on the late petrol chassis as my van is diesel !
I gather that early diesels had the engine and gearbox mounted further forward with different gear linkage and slightly different length driveshafts and different gearbox mount so I expect would need to be fitted to the late van as well to make the early engine bars locate the engine in the more forward position.

jerrybus

Post by jerrybus »

Thanks Cecil, my other van's a late diesel but parked elsewhere so I couldn't compare to the wbx. A diesel up on ebay made me think a transplant might be an option..