GoWesty wbx2.3 project

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

GoWesty wbx2.3 project

Post by silverbullet »

I have one of these coming in as a "nothing to lose so why not" engine, its leaky and down on compression iirc, not actually landed yet as TNT currently mucking me about but when it does, I'll know a bit more!

GW say their spec is 96 bore x 79.5 stroke but only 9:1 compression so barely makes standard DJ power...

https://www.gowesty.com/product/rebuilt ... cc-engine-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My initial thoughts are to use the crank & rods (if the latter are aftermarket, depends on the length) with some modified DJ pistons to make a nice punchy high-compression 2.2 and marry it to a later 4-speed that I have knocking about to get my 2wd bus back on the road :)

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Re: GoWesty wbx2.3 project

Post by axeman »

Just make sure you run it on the high octane fuel.

Neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Compared to US gas, all our fuel is high octane!

philyoung
80-90 Mem No: 15404

Post by philyoung »

Why not just put the 2.5 in it Ian? Then I wouldn’t have to keep lifting the engine deck on mine at every VW event for people to see your engine....
1990 LHD 2.5WBX Syncro Krankenwagen

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

silverbullet wrote:Compared to US gas, all our fuel is high octane!

Are you sure.......... their octane is MON whereas ours in RON, different measures and MON is a harder test so always comes out with a lower numerical value.

I think they're pretty comparable, though I am not sure if the US has the best quality V-power type fuel.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

philyoung wrote:Why not just put the 2.5 in it Ian? Then I wouldn’t have to keep lifting the engine deck on mine at every VW event for people to see your engine....
There are engine plans A, B, C and D all with their own merits... I currently have a "bad debt" fresh 2.5 on the bench, if the customer doesnt stump up some money soon I'll install it but I would rather be paid!

This 2.3 is reluctant to arrive, TNT returned it to source as they have changed their T&C's :(
I am rapidly going off the damn thing tbh

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

937carrera wrote:
silverbullet wrote:Compared to US gas, all our fuel is high octane!

Are you sure.......... their octane is MON whereas ours in RON, different measures and MON is a harder test so always comes out with a lower numerical value.

I think they're pretty comparable, though I am not sure if the US has the best quality V-power type fuel.
The US seem to always have lower-compression ratio versions of European engines (with resultant lower torque/power outputs) and I took that as an indicator of lower RON values in their fuels i.e. it is inferior to that available in Europe.