It's off with the cylinder head!

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sandyman

It's off with the cylinder head!

Post by sandyman »

I'm about to attempt to take off the cylinder head on the AAZ engine in my van. It overheated and needs a gasket replacement- I hope that is all- as well as a skim and crack test of course. The fear is that it could be worse and i'll have to get a recon head or whatever.
Anyway, I picked up a Haynes manual a few years back for a Golf TD 1996 in case I ever needed to do any work on the engine...the time has come! I've never done anything this big to be honest so i'm a bit apprehensive but have enough confidence to do it, with help from the internet and the manual too. Obviously I'm trying to cut the costs and save some money from the £600 quote to do the job. It's also a personal journey and a learning experience- I really want to see the state of the head and take it to a machinist myself. However, at that point I'm going to ask my mechanic to refit- mostly because of time constraints.
Does anyone have any advice/pointers/important things to do or not do before I start? Any help is much appreciated it!

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: It's off with the cylinder head!

Post by multisi »

Check the head is straight yourself, as said before diesel heads shouldn't be skimmed. Small cracks are ok.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

sandyman

Post by sandyman »

Cheers for the info. Yes a few have said they shouldn't be skimmed but I know it's been done without any problem- obviously not taking too much off.
One question was whether I need to set 1st cylinder to TDC before taking the head off??