Gti conversion devalue van

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

T25_steveo
80-90 Mem No: 15670

Re: Gti conversion devalue van

Post by T25_steveo »

Thanks to that info. I'm committed now lol no turning back :D

PaulSA
80-90 Mem No: 15253

Post by PaulSA »

Go for it. You won't be disappointed.

I have a 2.1 DJ and a 2.0L Golf.

For Me,

The Torque is nice on the 2.1 for technical stuff,

but the joy of shifting down and revving the 2.0 Golf motor,
to get up a hill or pass a truck or cruise at 110km/hr
far outweighs that benefit.

Besides--for the technical stuff you just feed in a few more revs.

My 2c worth.
Getting There!!

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Post by axeman »

As an cost effectinve engine convershion the agg/ady is a very good choise. And ticks many boxes with minimal negatives. I can speak from my experience of the agn engine over the past 15months of it being on the road and 14k miles.
The tourqe is lacking at low revs (peak tourqe is at 4200rpm) which is very high however this dose have an advantage in real world driving. For example on he motor way 60mph is around 3100rpm. 70mph is around 3850rpm. From say 65mph you can increase your speed very quickly and comfortably as your approching the peak of the tourque curve. I reguarly cruse at around 75mph happiy on the motor way

The low tourqe has never been an issue off road at low speed due to the engine management having an anti stall system. It will pull the truck along happily at idle with your foot of the peddle making all the nesscarey ajustments to the fueling and inigtion. It is however no tdi and when a sizable gradent is reached the throttle will been to be pressed.

Fuel ecconomey has been better than i expected kissing 30mpg most of the time which we would get in our old jx powered syncro westy. But this engine is fitted in a syncro doka so thats not a fair comparison. What i can conpaire is that a healthy jx imo is not that nice to drive. They are adiquate power wise. noisey and when running on veg oil a bit smelly. An in line 4 is smoother. quirter, more refined
Having said all that i am still of the opinion that our old westy with an ej22 suited the van better. Higher tourqe at lower rpm. A little more top end power. And probobley the most responcive engines that i have driven in a t3..

Neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

T25_steveo
80-90 Mem No: 15670

Post by T25_steveo »

Wow thanks for all that info Neil helps a lot. I've decided to just pop another head on my Jx for now as I've had one cheap. Gives me a bit more time to make up my mind on which route to take. A scooby would be lovely but it's the cost. However I would do it all myself hopefully wouldn't be as much.