1.6td jx and jr codes, are they the same?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

quattrodave
80-90 Mem No: 15840

1.6td jx and jr codes, are they the same?

Post by quattrodave »

Steadily working through my jobs list and noticed the engine has a jr code. Is this the same as a jx?
Was it an original fitment (1990 mulivan) or replacement do you think?
Are there any differences in the engines regards to servicing and settings, I have had a problem with the engine wanting to take more than 4.5l oil, are the capacities the same?
Any advice appreciated please!

dave friday
80-90 Mem No: 5533

Re: 1.6td jx and jr codes, are they the same?

Post by dave friday »

As far as I know the"Jr" was never fitted to the t 25 and has hydrolic cam followers.
Oil quantity; has your engine got its original "Jr" sump or the "jx" aluminium one?
I fitted a"sb" engine and replaced the sump ( and oil pump ) with a " jx " one.
I dont think, so I'm not[do I exist?]
1992 1600td [ jx ] syncro panel van[leisuredrive camper ]

quattrodave

Post by quattrodave »

It's got the aluminium sump but it's definitely a jr going by the engine code
I also had the cam cover off to try and check shim clearances, I couldn't get feelers in anything so that aroused suspicion. I'm just wondering if it's essentialy the same ?

dave friday

Post by dave friday »

As far as I know..the " jx,Jr and sb" are the same apart from the head and its hydrolic cam followers.
You shouldn't be able to get a feeler gauge between the cam and the follower if you could it would mean that the follower is buggered or the oil has leaked out!
As Oldie said check for problems with the dipstick and its outer sleve.

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

WHS^

If it still has the GTD pump on it, it makes for an ace drive.

Some of the GTD engines had water cooled turbo. If you look on NS of block you might see the water outlet for turbo blocked off if all the JX gubbins has been fitted

quattrodave

Post by quattrodave »

Not sure if it's a jx pump or not, is there any noticeable differences between them?
It also seems to have some kind of device blocked off on the rearmost end of the inlet manifold, the turbo looks like a jx one.
Could it possibly be using the jr dipstick hence my oil level queries?
It certainly pulls well, better than my loaded vivaro work van!

dave friday

Post by dave friday »

The blocked off thing is the BOV ( blow off valve )( I kid you not ) it's supposed to release the boost pressure when it gets too much!( mine is blocked off with a red wine cork Spanish).

quattrodave

Post by quattrodave »

Cheers davefriday, happy with the engine anyway, might try and source a gtd pump for it eventually!

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

JX dipstick will be the big long bendy thing that pops out the rear flap. JR is short and stumpy :wink:

JX pump pic here- second pic down of engine bay

http://vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php/topic,36390.0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JR one will be very similar in design to the one in this pic- the LDA is on top (what is commonly referred to as a 'flying saucer' on top for descriptive purposes)

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/best- ... 33168.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

quattrodave

Post by quattrodave »

Mine seems to be a jx pump and jx dipstick then I guess!
It does have an oil cooler sandwiched between the oil filter and mounting, is this accounted for in the 4.5l oil capacity?

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by max and caddy »

The JX we know, the JR is a 75 bhp non intercooled engine with quite a large T3 garrett turbo and hydralic followers, the pump is almost the same and as good as a SB one..the SB has a water cooled T2 turbo or kkk equivalent and as stated has water cooling for the turbo and slight block mods to suit...the 3 engines are very different in fact but when used as a block and head alone the Hydralic valve compensation is in my opinion a bonus over the JX ..there is also a an RA engine which is early GTD and same as an SB in most respects... :ok all the above have the modine type oil cooler as standard, the T3 sump decides the oil quantity and is 4.5 from empty with a new filter...all the T3 JX parts will go onto the other blocks without any mods ...and the SB or JR pump is superior to the JX one, use the pipes and if possible injectors to match.

Oil changes were 5000 miles on these units back then...modern oil can likely be used to 10000 ,filter at 10 k unless your really rolling coal.