Fantasy Engine

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Fantasy Engine

Post by Aidan »

IF we could get a 1000 people together with £5-10k each we could ask Porsche to supply 4 cylinder 2.4 litre wbx to current emissions, 200 bhp and an up to date ems, they already have the 4 cylinder design engine as they were expecting to have to use them in some markets in order to get their global emissions below the limit, though the number of diesels they now build has mitigated their need to do it as yet afaik

Dad
80-90 Mem No: 11860

Post by Dad »

Or the lmp1 919 engine and hybrid system?

Probably more than £10000 though!
1990 autosleeper trident 1.9 lpg

Asw
80-90 Mem No: 12781

Post by Asw »

I've also been thinking about some of the new high revving 1L turbo petrol units. I have this idea of keeping the cooling at the back. Maybe two small radiators, one under each air duct..

All just dreaming really... would love to lower and stiffen the suspension a bit as well.

But as for the engine, the problem is we did buy an air cooled out of choice, the early air cooled was what we wanted. I don't think I could "just add water". it would be a betrayal... So its air cooled dreaming for now. Water based fantasies are for another van.
Ultimately, are we not all air cooled?
1981 Devon Moonraker, CU engine

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Somewhere out there in internetland are photos of the fabled VW 16v wbx. I would love to see those, yet to find them.

As for the fantasy, well I am happy with what I am currently building :ok

When you see how Subaru have moved away from the revvy over-square EJ architecture with the new FB/FA engines that have almost "square" bore/stroke dimensions you can see how they are aiming for higher efficiency and more torque.

To keep up in the modern world, 150 bhp with a decent flat torque curve (c.200-220Nm) is what a T3 needs without being silly. The 2.6 5-cyl is just about adequate but it's the "traditional" VW gear ratios that let it down. It's also rather weighty but it does grip well in the wet!

Raising first gear to get its ratio comfortably below 4:1 to make use of the torque and closing the ratios up would be a nice addition.

Domino
80-90 Mem No: 14834

Post by Domino »

There are now Stroker kits to take the ej25 up to just over 2.6ltrs , that will have awesome torque :D

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

Aidan wrote:IF we could get a 1000 people together with £5-10k each we could ask Porsche to supply 4 cylinder 2.4 litre wbx to current emissions, 200 bhp and an up to date ems, they already have the 4 cylinder design engine as they were expecting to have to use them in some markets in order to get their global emissions below the limit, though the number of diesels they now build has mitigated their need to do it as yet afaik
If they were to supply a crate engine like that, it'd be the 718 Boxster/Cayman turbocharged flat four, 2.0/300bhp or 2.5/345bhp. I don't even want to know what it'd cost, but it'd be a big chunk north of £10k, I'd suspect.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;