Subaru engine buzzer of doom

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Subaru engine buzzer of doom

Post by mshaw1980 »

Hi everyone

So I have my EJ20 engine in and running. Sounds sweet, vdo oil pressure gauge shows 4-4.5 bar on cold start up however when I rev the engine to around 4k the stupid oil buzzer goes off. Rjes did the wiring so no issues with that. Recently got a dash wiring kit from campervan culture (clustermaster one) so all dash works as it should but this stupid buzzer is driving me mad. Anyone know how to disable it without affecting the red counter? PS I have fitted an original vw red counter and done the resistor MOD and all works well but I hear the red counter is connected to the oil buzzer.

Help greatly appreciated :-)
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

Synkraut
80-90 Mem No: 9894

Re: Subaru engine buzzer of doom

Post by Synkraut »

The VW Buzzer should be immobilized when a Subaru engine is used. Vw WBX engines have two oil pressure switches, one with 0.3 bar that makes the oil light in the dash go out after a few seconds when ignition is turned on an pressure builds up.The other has 0.8bar and lets the buzzer go off (and the oil light blink) when the engine is warm and it can't maintain 0.8bar of oil pressure (don't ask me for PSI, I'm German). The Subaru motor only has the low pressure switch so the cable for the high pressure on must be earthed with the body. That should be the centre pin of the round white VW adapter (T7a) in the black box within the engine compartment. Connect that with the car body and the problem should be gone

You can check the diagramm here (scroll all the way down): http://subaruvanagon.com/tom/Getting%20Started.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers, André

'89 T3 GL syncro, 2.1 MV
'91 T3 doka syncro, 2.2 Subaru
http://www.feine-tapeten.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

It's your van's way of telling you that it doesn't like Fuji Heavy Industries and wants a proper engine installing asap

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Post by mshaw1980 »

THANKS guys.

WBX blew up an hour after purchasing the van so I feel much more confident with the Subaru motor.
:ok
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Sorry to hear that. I can see how that would colour your opinion.
(Must use smilies when having a joke)

Ich fahre einen Bulli. Ich hilfe mir selbst...meistens!