subaru air intake syncro doka

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Synkraut
80-90 Mem No: 9894

subaru air intake syncro doka

Post by Synkraut »

Couldn't find suitable things through search so I'll risk starting a new thread:
I'm all set to implant a 2.2 Subaru engine into my syncro doka. Are there any helpful pictures as to how to route the air intake? I would like to keep the T25 cyclone filter and use the air intake via the C-pillar/crossmember adapter/right rear side of the engine compartment (it's probably hard to understand what I mean - could add some pictures of the original air intake setup)
Cheers, André

'89 T3 GL syncro, 2.1 MV
'91 T3 doka syncro, 2.2 Subaru
http://www.feine-tapeten.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Re: subaru air intake syncro doka

Post by axeman »

my solution was to mount syncro jx air filter in to the locker out of harms way and easy to get too for maintenance. This was on an upright 1.8 20v but there is no reason why itcould not be made to work for a subaru.
may be food for thought as i have a dislike for cone filters

neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

Synkraut

Post by Synkraut »

Interesting setup axeman, thank you for the picture. Will consider copying it.
Good thing about the doka is that there is more space available also above the actual engine compartment. The only restricting issues are that there is a defined length between throttle body and air mass meter and that the overall intake system should not be too long as that might lead to loss of power/higher fuel consumption. Not a fan of cone filters either.
Cheers, André

'89 T3 GL syncro, 2.1 MV

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

just curious, but whats your negative opinion on cone filters on a subaru? -- the noise?
thanks,
john
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

Synkraut

Post by Synkraut »

Hi John,
noise is one issue, the doka is noisy enough as it is (or was, just more or less finished the conversion). The main reason is, it's a syncro and I would like to use it occasionally in it's natural habitat (offroad, sand, mud, dirt). Therefore, I wanted to stick to the air intake through the crossmember and from the C-pillars of the car. What I ended up doing was flip the Subaru air intake over use the original Subaru air filter box to which I connected the part of my original air intake that was between the cyclone filter and the crossmember. With all the headroom available in the doka, that was easy enough. Only thing I had to take care of was the oil filler, which was in the way. Luckily, I remembered the LMB-Technik, from which I got most of the conversion parts also have an adapter for that (which they offer for beetle conversions normally where space is more restricted).

So here is an image of my air intake solution:
Cheers, André

'89 T3 GL syncro, 2.1 MV

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Oh wow, yes theres a lot of space up there isn't there. I've got assorted air boxes and pipes from the donor, but don't know if il end up just using the cone filter. Will see how it goes ;-)
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed