AAZ Converted - Fuelling probs and few other little queries

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MattBW
80-90 Mem No: 11790

AAZ Converted - Fuelling probs and few other little queries

Post by MattBW »

Hey folks,

It's been a while and the T25 has the AAZ conversion in and is running pretty nicely. I've done a few miles and overall its running great. Couple of minor niggles and maybe a gearbox change is needed. Just wanted opinions on any others who've done it. I've been having a good read of old posts to get a feel but I'm not finding much results on AAZ gearbox.

I've noticed on some left hand bends, the engine can just die. I'm assuming its fuelling and wondered if anyone else fitted an extra electrical fuel pump. My Dad thinks the fuel may be airating (can't see any leaks). If its not this it may be electrical but the wiring was all refreshed before installation.

With regards to gearbox I knew it would be geared incorrectly, 1.6d box on a 1.9 but it really needs a little more I think. First is pointless, 2nd is like first should be and 60 in 4th feels like its screaming (not helped with the performance air filter we had to modify into the air vents to get it without adapting the engine lid. Obviously reducing the revs will make it a bit more ear friendly.

Any original boxes worth considering or should I look elsewhere? I did hear the 5 speed box is not much better because its more fragile and the 5th is not much different to 4th on the 4 speed. Anyone had any good experiences with alternative boxes on an AAZ?

Or should I just consider modifying 4th for example?

Cheers all, good to be back in the t25 :D :ok
1985 1.9TD AAZ -Starlight Interior
2015 California Beach

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Re: AAZ Converted - Fuelling probs and few other little queries

Post by lefty67 »

I have the aaz conversion with a 5 speed 3h box, works fine for me 60mph at approximately 3400rpm.
Had a recent problem with fuelling and found it be an air leak on white thermo valve on top of the fuel filter, real pain in the assignment to get the pipes air tight. Have ended up swapping to a standard filter with no problems so far.
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

MattBW
80-90 Mem No: 11790

Re: AAZ Converted - Fuelling probs and few other little queries

Post by MattBW »

Thanks, funnily enough I saw a 3h for sale recently that sounds like a decent rev range.I have no rev counter but it certainly sounds higher than that at the moment.

Cheers for the air leak pointer too I will have a look and see if I have a similar problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1985 1.9TD AAZ -Starlight Interior
2015 California Beach