Where have all the engines gone!? Engine choice help?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Bennythew
80-90 Mem No: 0

Where have all the engines gone!? Engine choice help?

Post by Bennythew »

So like many, I've been looking into swapping out my Ky engine for something more powerful.

I've got an 89 panel that I've been using as my daily, as well as climbing trips and camping all over the country and soon Europe. To make it more "wild camp capable" I'm going down the lift/big tyres/lsd route but to increase the tyre size I'm really going to need more oooomph to push them round; hills are an issue already.

The best bet seems to be an AAZ mated to the DW box that's already fitted. It'd cruise at just under 70 (a marginal increase from my current 63 due to the 2inches increased diameter) and pull me up the hills better.

I'm an aircraft engineer so I'm happy to take the job on...

But where are the engines!
eBay is a loss, gumtree has nothing... Just a few crate engines stripped down. No cars.

I'm aware of the seats, audis and vws that had the AAZ but can I Christ find them.

Has the market dried up or am I missing a trick?
Last edited by Bennythew on 10 Jan 2016, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Re: Where have all the engines gone!?

Post by ajsimmo »

AAZ is rocking horse poo now. Slightly easier to find a 1Y or AEF, and will still give you a good improvement over the KY. Even easier swap too.
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... GB&alt=web" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

Bennythew

Post by Bennythew »

I saw the removed engine, thanks. I was trying to steer away from pre removed engine though.

They seem more expensive and can't be seen running, it's an option though.

I have found a golf with an AAZ near me for good money but I've realised a couple of issues.

Converting from the 1.7ky I won't have any of the JX bits normally used in he swap.
-Can I use the intake of the AAZ? ( at least I won't have to port match the thin JX intake)
-would the turbo foul the mount with the AAZ setup?
-I'm aware the turbo oil pickup would have to be added but I think you can buy a kit.

Would I get an appreciable increase in tq and be with an aef engine? My goal with this is to increase to 27.5inch tyres.

Thanks
Ben

jes*b
80-90 Mem No: 10335

Re: Where have all the engines gone!? Engine choice help?

Post by jes*b »

Whereabouts are you ben ?

Bennythew

Re: Where have all the engines gone!? Engine choice help?

Post by Bennythew »

jes*b wrote:Whereabouts are you ben ?

I'm in Norwich.