O2 Sensor for Subaru EJ20

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

IanMills
80-90 Mem No: 5164

O2 Sensor for Subaru EJ20

Post by IanMills »

I am after a we bit of advice,
I fitted a EJ20 engine into my van about four years ago using mostly RJES stuff including the loom. Its been running like a dream until recently and an error code appeared. it indicated the O2 Sensor. This was replaced with a brand new unit order from top quality supplier. I did not buy a cheap replacement from e-bay.
Fitted the sensor and the engine run fine for about 5 minutes, its running like a bag of spanners and the same error code for the O2 has come up with no other error code.
a) how do I test the sensor to make sure its faulty or not
b) how do I test the wing to make sure there is not a fault within the wiring causing this.
c) just buy another O2 sensor
Thanks for any help
Ian
Have a nice day !

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: O2 Sensor for Subaru EJ20

Post by Aidan »

Ian my experience is scooby ecu doesn't mind a cheap lambda, unlike MV wbx,

have you tried a power off ecu reset and relearn ? or have you done that and not driven it yet, if so it will probably overidle and be unhappy till it's done a full temp cycle or twlo on road and been restarted

to test you need to get at the signal wire from the lambda with a test probe and check the volts cycling, I drilled a 2.5mm hole in the side of the connector block so I could do it once I'd figured out which was which, then I proved the faulty one was staying low, and then after fitting replacement could observe it cyling normally and after clearing code from ecu it was fine for a year till I broke the car and sold the manifold to a local scooby owner with the lambda in, have fitted same cheap one to the new exhaiust on the engine now in pick up and exhaust is clean

Domino
80-90 Mem No: 14834

Post by Domino »

Put a Voltmeter on the signal wire which is blue on the sensor side of the connector , should be varying between 0.5 to 0.9 volts

IanMills
80-90 Mem No: 5164

Post by IanMills »

Thanks for the replies. I did do an ecu reset before starting the engine with the new O2 sensor. Started it up and went for a run that's when it started to cough and splutter after about 10 minutes.
Will check readings and see what I get.
Many Thanks
Have a nice day !