Diagnostics

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

peteabbott
80-90 Mem No: 4672

Diagnostics

Post by peteabbott »

Hi, I have also posted this in the tech section as I am quite desperate for help. Can anyone recommend a DIY vagcom diagnostic unit that would cover my 1999/2000 Bora 1.6 Very eratic idle and trips to the garage to have diag done has not given me the answer and it is costing too much.
Please point me in the right right direction, pulling my hair out with this fault.
Thankyou
Pete
Pete Abbott

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Re: Diagnostics

Post by toomanytoys »

If they cant tell.you whats wrong with it and cant fix it.. They.sure as hell shouldnt be charging for.it...
Useless squats...

Funny how i diagnosed an issue a friend was having with her corse in Netherlands. 4 Months after the thing was launched and the garage took 6weeks to determine that it was what i said in the first place...... And i didnt even see the bloody car...
She had to wait another 4 weeks for the part as it had to be taken from the production line (it was a sensor... Nothing major..)

Biggest issue i see from.todays "mechanics" is they expect the computor to tell them which bit.to.replace....
Cant actually figure it out them selves...

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

I have the Rosstech vagcom setup, its close to £300! But mine is 100% genuine and works properly unlike the £9 leads you get off eBay!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

peteabbott
80-90 Mem No: 4672

Post by peteabbott »

Thanks for the replies. Yes Toomanytoys they charged me for the first diag and were quite smug with the cam sensor fault. When I went back again they did the diag free ! Trouble is with the idle problem it could be just one cylinder misfire being picked up by the Lamda or idle control valve, it has not got an EGR so not that, or even the throttle body ? Run it without the MAF plugged in and makes no difference to the eratic idle so I have at least ruled that out. Common fault according to the Bora owners club but no definitive component. God how I love my T25 !
Pete Abbott