VAGCOM ?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

peteabbott
80-90 Mem No: 4672

VAGCOM ?

Post by peteabbott »

Hello all,
After years of loving my T3, for my sins I bought a 1.6 Bora to add to my fleet of 2........love my VW,s
Now the Bora has a very unstable idle so had an "expert" put it on VAGCOM. It says cam positioner. Not a 2 minute job but replaced it.......oh dear, no difference. Clean throttle body / MAFF , no difference. Temperature sensor, no difference. It seems this very common fault has no definitive solution and you just have to replace everything down to the cup holder to actually fix the fault ! Have pity on me please someone as I am pulling my hair out. Thinking of buying a DIY vagcom diagnostic tool ( something that will cover a 2000 year )
IF I put her into the garage it seems they will just "try this and try that" and that will just be too costly.
Can someone help me out here please ?
Thanks
Pete
Pete Abbott

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Re: VAGCOM ?

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Buy a low cost USB lead from ebay or amazon and download the shareware version of VCDS Lite.
That will let you see the error codes and clear them.

The license for VCDS Lite only costs 99 USD.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

trentjim
80-90 Mem No: 11422

Post by trentjim »

I'm new to vagcom with a £5 ebay lead & vcds lite. Good online info. Had problems with drivers & com ports on two win8 64bit PC's but pretty straightforward getting things working on a win7 netbook.
'91 (ex Whitestar) Purplestar hightop 1Z TDI

peteabbott

Post by peteabbott »

Thanks for your replies. I am on the case !
Pete Abbott

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

Word of warning those cheapo eBay leads are cak, and can and often do ness up more than they fix.! I have the proper genuine lead and the difference is night and day!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I have 3 cheapo USB leads and all of them work perfectly with VCDS lite shareware, VCDS Lite licensed version and full blown VAGCOM.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

peteabbott

Post by peteabbott »

Thanks T.A.D. What I need to do ,if you can help me, is change my throttle body and apparently I need to tell the ECU to recognise it. Electrickery is not my thing (served my time on MK 3 Cortinas ) Very much appreciated.
Pete Abbott

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Post by mrhutch »

Titus A Duxass wrote:I have 3 cheapo USB leads and all of them work perfectly with VCDS lite shareware, VCDS Lite licensed version and full blown VAGCOM.

me too

never fecked anything with mine
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

peteabbott

Post by peteabbott »

Live and learn even at 64 ! Is it something to do with witchcraft ? Got to admit I am not getting it.......VCDS lite ? I am sure I will get there, perhaps I will google it ! Keep talking boys please.
Old Silver Haired Pete
mrhutch wrote:
Titus A Duxass wrote:I have 3 cheapo USB leads and all of them work perfectly with VCDS lite shareware, VCDS Lite licensed version and full blown VAGCOM.

me too

never fecked anything with mine
Pete Abbott

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

peteabbott wrote:Thanks T.A.D. What I need to do ,if you can help me, is change my throttle body and apparently I need to tell the ECU to recognise it. Electrickery is not my thing (served my time on MK 3 Cortinas ) Very much appreciated.

I've just done this on mine.
I am pretty sure that you cannot do a Throttle Body Alignment (TBA) with the shareware version of VCDS Lite, you can do it with the registered version (99$) though.

Before I bought the software I took mine to a local garage and he did it for a tenner.
Once your engine temp reaches 80c and you have no error codes it takes about a minute.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l