Finding TDC on 1 y

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

stevie43_uk
80-90 Mem No: 0

Finding TDC on 1 y

Post by stevie43_uk »

Hi all,

Just doing my static timing on my 1 y engine before I drop it back in the van.

I can't check the TDC on the flywheel just yet as the engine isn't in the van, but I've aligned the notch on the crankshaft pulley so it is at 12 o'clock. With the new cambelt in place, this matches with the perfectly flat bar on the camshaft and the 15.7mm hole in the Bosch injection pump sprocket ( the sprocket on the camshaft has not been moved at all since it was previously running)
I've turned engine over and everything seems to line up
Is this correct -

Ta
Steve

stevie43_uk

Re: Finding TDC on 1 y

Post by stevie43_uk »

Just wondered if anyone had any advice on this ?

I've now got the engine in and rotated the flywheel to find the TDC on the v notch against the pointer - this does not correspond with the notch on the crankshaft pulley which is about 10 o'clock compared with the flywheel ?

My question is I have a 1.9 1Y engine on a 1.7d gearbox - which TDC is correct before I make an expensive mistake !

Thanks

Steve

tommin
80-90 Mem No: 9348

Re: Discrepancy on what is TDC on 1.9d ??

Post by tommin »

Rotate until you find the V on the clutch plate, this should then line up with the crank tdc etc...
Life is an oldie campervan
1983 1.6D Bus :)
1989 16D Caravelle C (Botched to 1.6TD) :(

stevie43_uk

Post by stevie43_uk »

Hi ,

Thanks for yr reply
I assume the inspection hole on the gearbox with the arrow is in the same position on all gearboxes then ?

I was just concerned that having a different gearbox would possibly not be accurate

Ta
Steve

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

Sometimes there are three marks on the clutch plate. It's usually the one in the middle you want to go for.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop