PetenAli's WBX 2500 engine build

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: PetenAli's WBX 2500 engine build

Post by silverbullet »

Andy asked me about putting some extra lines in the stretched DJ loom for oil temp, pressure and cooler fan switch & relay.

Lambda slipped my mind but its only a 2-wire run, needs to be good quality because the signal is tiny, its a long run up to the dash and "narrow band" sensors switch from lean to rich in a blink (they are cheap though)

Wideband are much dearer but more progressive, so its easier to interpret the readings.
I would go el cheapo and see if it looks about right for starters.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

PS if your starter is healthy, I wouldnt worry. It cranked easily with the 091 starter and thats only 700 watt! WOSP here in UK make a reduction geared one for the wbx but they are nearly 300 quid...
Bricky for a new pump and shiny stainless bracket. But then you will look at your tank straps... now is the time, if not already sorted.

weimarbus
80-90 Mem No: 10165

Post by weimarbus »

any updates on this, how goes the transplant?
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's (now sold)
1972 1303 beetle
1992 Audi 100 2.8 quattro estate
1967 Vw  Madison kit

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

This topic got pruned back after a rude intrusion. Engine was collected last week (after a hiccup) and the wagon in question is now up at Aidan's, getting a drivetrain refresh as part of the works.

I know no more than this...

PetenAli
80-90 Mem No: 8569

Post by PetenAli »

Its been a bit of a mission but finally Syncro and new engine dropped off at Aidan's and Station Works garage last Saturday.

A bit of a mission because getting the engine from Ian in the first place involved two trips to Surrey. The first failed 20 miles from Holman's Precision Engineering Ltd when a "cock" pheasant flew into my Caddy door mirror and wiped it out (see below). With no rear view mirror and only a N/S door mirror I couldn't carry on. As it was a Sunday the only option was to get relayed back to West Cornwall - Grrrr And £140 for a pattern replacement :cry:

Couldn't get back up the following weekend so finally two weeks later picked it up from Ian who kindly got up early so that I could get in and out of the M25 before the masses.

Hooray!! :ok

With help from Hotpod (thanks Dan) we got it transferred into the Syncro and then last Friday night I drove up to Aidan's so that i could arrive for 10.00am and leave it at Station Road.

The old lump has done its last journey in the back of our Syncro and so far I've driven 1500 miles in total to get to this point - the price you pay for living in W Cornwall :lol:

So the plan now is that Brian pulls the engine, transaxle and front diff. While Aidan is working his magic on the boxes Brian will be doing those jobs best done when everything is out like tank straps, breathers, everything on the fuel side from the filler cap through to the fuel lines into the engine, fitting oil temp and pressure gauges etc etc. Once Aidan is done then everything will go back in and Andy (Syncrosport) is coming down to fit his extended DJ loom so that the ECU will be situated under the back seat thus leaving room for the oil cooler and fan in front of the N/S rear light. Then it will be commissioning the new engine and the journey from Llanfyllin to West Cornwall will be a good running in opportunity with a first oil change as soon as I get home.

Just want to take this opportunity to say "thanks" to everyone who has been involved in this project so far. Obviously Ian and Aidan are playing a major part. Also Andy has taken on doing the alterations to the loom to take account of the need to move the ECU and also fitting oil tem and pressure gauges. Neil (axeman) has helped with some senders and JesB with the loan of a loom so that Ian could fire it up for an initial test. I'm hoping that I haven't missed anyone out - if I have huge apologies and I'll redress it when all is done!

So the next will be going to pick it up and the drive home. I'm 60 this year and as part of the birthday stuff Ali and I are taking a five week break and traveling around Spain and Portugal. If all goes according to plan we will have a month to prepare and get the 2.5 fully run in before we set off.
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171

weimarbus
80-90 Mem No: 10165

Post by weimarbus »

Sounds like you have an exciting time coming up and if all goes to plan then you will need to avoid post project blues (like when you come to the end of a good book) so look forward to hearing about your plans to put the DJ in your beetle for class 6 :ok
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's (now sold)
1972 1303 beetle
1992 Audi 100 2.8 quattro estate
1967 Vw  Madison kit

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

A quick update for those who are interested.

Syncro has been up at Aidan's for a little while now. Aidan has rebuilt the transaxle and front diff. The transaxle required a lot of work, the front diff a bit a less. Various packages have been arriving from Holmfirth at regular intervals.

The Syncro had been parked up at the neghbouring garage where Brian pulled the old engine as well as trans and front diff. He also had a a good look round and as a result 2 of BW's repair plates for the bottom rear spring mount have been welded in and some work done on the front ARB mounts as well. Brian spends a lot of time preparing rally cars so he's a good man for a Syncro I think. Also while the trans has been out jobs like BW stainless tank straps and replacement fuel lines have been done.

Current position is that trans, front diff and silverbullet engine are back in. The Holman custom oil cooler housing and cooler are in (reported by Aidan as being a very tight fit!). Various emails have been flying around over the past week about oil temp, oil pressure and lambda gauges and this weekend Andy is down fitting his custom DJ loom so that the ECU is re-positioned inside (it had to be moved anyway so that the oil cooler could be fitted).

Its all getting very imminent. Ali and I are so glad that we have been able to go down this route i.e. Ian building the engine and then combining fitting it with Aidan's work on the transmissions and having Brian's involvement as well. Aidan has been heavily involved also at Brian's garage with his general expertise. We are off to the Iberian peninsula in about 5 week's time so that will be a good test of everything!!

Hopefully the next post might have a video of of it running and the various fitments that go with it.

Syncronaut #171

NickBab
80-90 Mem No: 13949

Post by NickBab »

Awesome project. I look forward to seeing the van in action later in the year :ok
87 Syncro, 73 Bay, 67 Beetle and other non VW stuff

Bigjcc55
80-90 Mem No: 10140

Post by Bigjcc55 »

Looking forward to seeing pictures of it all installed and running.
I think I need to speak to Ian and Aidan at some point before I get mine on the road.
1985 1.9 Devon moonraker
1992 2.1 SA big window syncro
1991 TDI syncro panel van

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Good to talk with you at Brickwerks open day John!

So Pete...is it running at long last?

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

silverbullet wrote:
So Pete...is it running at long last?

So Ian... We are going up to Llanfyllin tomorrow with a plan to pick it up on Thursday morning. Brian has confirmed this is good and that he is running the Syncro around the hills a bit to check all is good. I will update this thread absolutely as soon as I have something to report from my own direct experience!

See you on Friday in the Mendips. Pics and vids will follow just as soon as we get it back.

Syncronaut #171

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

:) Coolio

Sent from my Atari 7800

PetenAli

Post by PetenAli »

silverbullet wrote::) Coolio

Very much hope so!!!!!!!! Looking forward to catching up with you and Neil and everyone else tho. :ok

Syncronaut #171

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

My reputation is right on the line now!

Sent from my Atari 7800

Bigjcc55
80-90 Mem No: 10140

Post by Bigjcc55 »

[quote="silverbullet"]Good to talk with you at Brickwerks open day John!

It was good to get a yap, and was a good morning all in, I had to head off early as it was a fair journey home.
1985 1.9 Devon moonraker
1992 2.1 SA big window syncro
1991 TDI syncro panel van