1z engine last chance saloon!

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jonnyoffcas79
80-90 Mem No: 0

1z engine last chance saloon!

Post by jonnyoffcas79 »

I recently got myself an Audi 80 with a 1.9 tdi, 100000 on the clock and the car is very very clean with full history. The problem I have is engine starts perfect no smoke, when warm engine judders unless you lift rpm to 1000!
Revs perfect stationary still no smoke it's clean. If you try to maintain a constant speed say 50 once you let off gas then slam back down on the power I get judder and this is engine stutter not a clutch, this happens any gear and any speed.

I have check history and we have new timing belt and I have changed the fuel filter do we have any ideas or checks I can do. Ps stop reading now if you don't want a t25 sob storey like sinking 7000 quid into a 25 doka body and engine rebuild, rebuilt engines now all over the m62 and that the body work took so long the engines out of waranty even after only 40 miles! 1z is last chance of glory guys before 3 kids hate me and wife divorces. Even the dog pissed in wy work boots this morning!!!

jetpacjimmy
80-90 Mem No: 9342

Re: 1z engine last chance saloon!

Post by jetpacjimmy »

I had an 80 tdi years ago and it juddered. Can't remember what caused it but it was a common issue. Quick Google -http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/show ... ng-jerking

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Maybe its the freaking weird mechanical MAF they didn't use on any other TDI ever...

Get rid..

E D I T. Weird on a TDI that is, quite common on earlier cars in which it works OK ish.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

My mechanical MAF is still OK after intergalactic mileage (2.5TDi).........but I used to have constant roughness and juddering which rarely threw a fault code, plus it cut out a couple of times. I soldered the crimp connectors in the mutipin plugs to the MAF and to the injection pump. They carry signal level voltages and suffer from even the slightest corrosion. A pig of a fiddly job removing the pins, but engine has been smooth as the proverbial babies bottom for three years since.

Not saying that's what your problem is, but worked for me!

As SychroAndy says, could also be the MAF. You can shift the little circuit board so the wiper wipes a different track to give it a new lease of life.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

Sure I read about this a few months ago, only as I was looking at buying one.

Certain I read something about the pump getting worn and metal filings getting amongst it.