Turbo advice

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mangledharry
80-90 Mem No: 13966

Turbo advice

Post by mangledharry »

Hi I have a 1.9tdi engine in my 1989 westy which has a dash mounted set of gauges including temp turbo boost and voltage . Since yesterday the turbo boost gauge has stopped working and since testing it out on the motorway has is losing power I can just get 55mph in fifth at 3300 revs with sluggish acceleRation .Before this all all occurred I could get 65 -70 at same revs. It drives as well as always between 0 and 40 .i also get the occasional rattling ratchetty sound when accelerating in higher gears which is now happening in the lower geArs took.(maybe completely unrelated ) . I have booked her in for next week for a turbo checkmetc but wondered if anyone on here had any ideas?

Thanks

Harry

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Re: Turbo advice

Post by California Dreamin »

mangledharry wrote:Hi I have a 1.9tdi engine in my 1989 westy which has a dash mounted set of gauges including temp turbo boost and voltage . Since yesterday the turbo boost gauge has stopped working and since testing it out on the motorway has is losing power I can just get 55mph in fifth at 3300 revs with sluggish acceleRation .Before this all all occurred I could get 65 -70 at same revs.
Harry

Interesting but also impossible as the mechanical speed of your engine and gearing are 'fixed' ... so although you might have lost power, the engine revs against miles per hour cannot change... unless of course the clutch is slipping lol.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

busbuddy
80-90 Mem No: 3043

Post by busbuddy »

you need to check for fault codes, under boost,over boost,dead maf, etc

is the tapping noise similar to what the n75 makes?
'88 1.9tdi karmann cheetah

HT
80-90 Mem No: 4630

Post by HT »

As Bus buddy said you really need to check for fault codes, presuming your obd2 port works. Ideally using vagcom/vcds but a cheap fault code checker may work. Thats probably what the mechanic will do anyway. There are so many things that could cause this as it sounds like the engine is in limp mode.

Reimotim
80-90 Mem No: 10331

Post by Reimotim »

I bought a bluetooth OBD2 reader for around a fiver and then an app for my phone called Torque for a few quid. I use it on my diesel zafira. It identifies fault code and then has a web link to give you more information about the fault. It has saved me a lot of time and money and helped solve relatively simple problems. you can also reset/cancel faults, plus it gives you a load of other data (boy racer type info) and lots of pretty displays!

I hope you get it sorted.
:ok
Tim
1990 LHD Hi-top JX 5Speed.
3:16 cx