Adding a Rev counter to a diesel

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jetfitzmaurice
80-90 Mem No: 13682

Adding a Rev counter to a diesel

Post by Jetfitzmaurice »

Hi, I've tried searching but not found a definitive answer. I have an 87 doka, originally a 1.7D with no Rev counter, it's now running a 1.9D 1Y and I'd really like to add a Rev counter. Is it as simple as buying a diesel clock set with a Rev counter? Will it work or will I still have to feed it a signal at the engine end? Where does the stock t25 rev counter get its signal from? The alternative is to install an aftermarket one like the auto meter 2888 which has a sensor you strap to the alternator but if at all possible I'd rather keep things stock.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Best Regards James

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: Adding a Rev counter to a diesel

Post by lloydy »

Have a look on the back of the alternator, Does it have a W connection? And does it have a wire attached? (W connection is where it gets the rpm signal from)And do you have two oil pressure switches? One on the front of the head, the other on the oil filter housing. If you do, chances are you can just swap a rev counter pod in.
I don't know much about the 1.7D's, but thats how it is with the 1.6's
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Jetfitzmaurice
80-90 Mem No: 13682

Post by Jetfitzmaurice »

Hi, I've just gone out and had a look, my alternator is a Valeo 70amp VW part number 030 903 023E which has a small plastic plug on with two wires coming off it as well as the main battery cable. As far as I can tell from googling one of these wires is D+ = lamp and the other is W = stator so I guess I'm good to go if I can find a clock set with a Rev counter. :D

Funbus
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Funbus »

Any more info on this as I'm a numpty with electrics.
I'm running aaz, has 2 oil pressure sensors and alt with extra wire.
Suppose I got clocks with rev counter how much work is it to wire it all in?
Cheers

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

Disconnect the oil pressure sensors and rev the engine, oil warning buzzer should sound. If it does then a diesel instrument set with rev counter will be a straight swop as required wiring is fitted and functional.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Post by discipleofsketch »

I can't advise on the alternator wiring, as mine is tdi and driven off the ecu, but I added an aftermarket tacho rather than messing with the other dash stuff:-

Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion