1y running lumpy and wont rev

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

celticboatman
80-90 Mem No: 0

1y running lumpy and wont rev

Post by celticboatman »

new 1y 1.9 diesel installation, previous history unknown, got it bled and running, problem is it sounds like it is on 3 cylinders and will not rev more than about 2000 rpm, with tons of blue/white smoke. When running if you loosen any of the pipe injectors the engine runs even more lumpy which I reckon means all the injectors are working and each cylinder is firing. Any thoughts anyone??

keytouch
80-90 Mem No: 4484

Re: 1y running lumpy and wont rev

Post by keytouch »

How old is the fuel you're using? Is the fuel filter clean/new/drained of water?
Jonathan

A Camper called Wanda
1983 A reg Bilbo Marlfield conversion, 1900 Diesel 1Y engine

celticboatman

Post by celticboatman »

new diesel, new filter, no water!!!, would the symptoms show air still in the system? or pump timing off?

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Is this the boat engine or is this one in a van?
Have you changed the cambelt before installation? If so you most probably got it one tooth out - very easy to do (I did it when I overhauled my 1Y before I put it in).
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

celticboatman

Post by celticboatman »

Yes, engine in boat, filter worked a treat except running lumpy and what seems like choked revs, did not change cam belt, would one tooth out give these symptoms and is it an easy to change job?

Oldiebut goodie

Did you get the F0rd style primer/filter in the end or the cheapo version?
If nothing has been touched by you I wouldn't mess about with the belt etc. yet until everything else has been checked.(Although it sounds to me that it may be that)
If it has sat around there is a chance that the pump is stuck up internally. What pump is it - is it a Bosch? Are the injector pipes in the correct order? - as we know that they have been messed around with. ( I can take a pic of my pipes and pump if you have doubts)
Is this lumpiness after it has been running for a while and are you starting on glow plugs and/or the cold start.
Blue smoke is usually oil and white is usually unburnt diesel. Have you checked the compression?
What water cooling is it hooked up to and what gearbox? (just for nosinesses sake! :lol: )
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

celticboatman

Post by celticboatman »

Ford style primer, also used the small clear inline filter in the return to be able to see the fuel being primed. No idea what sort of pump it is, the whole engine was painted white, cant see any plates or numbers. The pipes were not taken off totally, just loosened to bled so presume they are right. The engine was sitting for at least a year before I got the boat, it was hard to turn over to start with so there is a definite possibility of the pump stuck! The engine starts ok with help of glow plugs, but is lumpy from start, when it warms it is still the same, lumpy and revs to about 2000 rpm and seems choked with excess fuel? Have not checked compression, do not have ready access to gear to check it. The engine has a bowman heat exchange water cooling system in place, the drive is via a custom made prop shaft with 2 CV joints, then a sterndrive. None of which has been able to be tested yet :?

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

Was this not a symptom when the injector return pipe is connected to the fuel tank return side of the union on the top of the pump. ?
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

celticboatman

Post by celticboatman »

where is the injector return pipe supposed to be connected then? it is connected to the banjo on top of the pump which is the return feed.

Oldiebut goodie

I tink he means the two pipes have been swapped over and the injector return is on the larger bore spigot that goes to the tank and vice versa. It confused me on first reading due to not assimilating the info. correctly! :D
If you can get a pic of the pump and all pipework it will save a lot of guesswork with that area.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

celticboatman

Post by celticboatman »

Not sure how to upload photos, but here is an address to see them
http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/celti ... 3.jpg.html

The pipe on the top of the pump with the injector return pipe attached is the return to the tank, and the pipe at the front with the bigger bore is the feed to the pump from the tank

Oldiebut goodie

1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

sorry I meant to say banjo but the word wouldn't come in me head :lol:

hmmm...I remember Ringo saying that he had got this the wrong way and it caused similar problems....but that looks ok to me.
it could have been something different :)
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

Oldiebut goodie

I would hazard a guess to say that the pump timing, fuel lines, cambelt are OK and haven't been touched and it is more likely air or pump sticking.
What I would do, rightly or wrongly, is fill the pump with injector cleaner or atf , turn it over a while to get it in everywhere and leave to soak for 24 hours to see if that helps. I don't know how you would check the timing without the clutch cover mark (It could be done but not as easily) but I would expect that to be already set before the engine was put in (But who knows what happened previously).
I see that the throttle stop has been altered - you haven't messed with the fuelling screw also have you?
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

celticboatman

Post by celticboatman »

I have adjusted the throttle stop thinking that was possibly why I could not get higher revs, but it was to no avail!, did not touch any other screws, dont even know where to find the fuelling screw. Do you know what type of pump it is?