Turbo problems.

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Funbus
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Turbo problems.

Post by Funbus »

Cheers mpg. A picture paints a thousand words.
I'm putting mine behind the light and cutting the floor out beneath it. I will then make a vent below it which will bend 45 degree to face out of the rear, below the valance.
I will then box the cooler from the engine bay effectively making a wind tunnel through the standard vent, down the rear quarter, over the cooler and out of the back.
I think this would work as the lower pressure behind the vehicle should draw the air down.

VirginAtlantic
80-90 Mem No: 13438

Post by VirginAtlantic »

New turbo arrived from Germany today! The twist was when I opened it! There was a piece of paper in with the docs of the turbo test sheet which was carried out on this new KKK turbo by Turbo Technics Ltd Northampton dated 13/06/2014 and this came from Germany? The turbo came with oil syringe full of new oil, manifold gasket, oil inlet gasket, white gloves (kept them back for the family silver!) and inlet compressor ring. All for £349! still can't believe how cheap it was against the average PX of £500. I was quoted £240inc VAT for a service on my old KKK. The four studs cost 50p each + VAT from GFS.

Fitted it this afternoon and it seems to be running lovely without the dreaded oil running out of both the compressor and exhaust ends.

Why does everything I "want" - scrub that, need - cost so much?

Funbus
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Funbus »

Looks a good deal. Update post with results once you've had a run out in it.

VirginAtlantic

Post by VirginAtlantic »

can anybody give me an example of an engine number on a TDI engine. I've looked at my own AHU engine number and there are two numbers. the first on the alloy head 028103373N and the second screwed on the block 02M96 so which one is it? any help would be appreciated.

VirginAtlantic

Post by VirginAtlantic »

Tomorrow the bus goes on the rolling road for a tune up. Tweaking the waste gate and adjusting the fuel pump boost pin and spring. get some pic's on here and the results.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

...good luck with that :)
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

VirginAtlantic

Post by VirginAtlantic »

MTDI Conversion 1st rolling road session with an 1996 AHU 1.9TDI engine.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Quite a successful couple of hours on the rolling road, the initial set up when I arrived was producing 56hp at the wheels. I have to admit it was already better than the JX lump on the road before we started to adjust the power. I didn't realise during my conversion that my original JX turbo I was going to reuse was in such a state, leaking oil with a stuck waste gate in the open position, so perhaps I never really got so feel the true power of a JX engine?

We adjusted the waste gate and the fuelling on the pump, the boost pin was turned to the best angle on the cone. I changed the injector nozzles for a slightly better set and had the injectors balanced. a new KKK turbo was fitted to give me back a working waste gate. The fuel pump was out of a Fiat. I had the famous Aidan Talbot rebuild the gearbox with brickwerks Input shaft C&P 1:14 FD and longer 5th gear, South African oil plates were also machined into the casing. I fitted the Golf Mk4 starter with adaptor plate from brickwerks.

It was good fun but the best thing was the result, the van is now pulling 70hp at the wheels and estimated 90hp at the flywheel. She drives very well on the road and pulls like a train. I believe I could make an omelette in the fridge after pulling away from the lights now!

The only thing left to do is a new exhaust but i'll save that for Busfest trade stands.