Turbo problems.

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: Turbo problems.

Post by lloydy »

Unless I'm imaging the wrong thing, the jx has a breather on the block? Runs from next to the oil filter housing up to the puck on the cam cover?
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

MGP
80-90 Mem No: 13910

Post by MGP »

My jx didn't when i got it just had a plate bolted over the hole, it looked factory. The aaz that i fitted had one. Thinking back the blanking plate could have been a PO "fix" like blocking off the turbo oil feed to stop the tubo oil seals leaking
'89 1.9td AAZ engine
http://www.dubsonthefritz.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

They all left the factory with one :ok
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

VirginAtlantic
80-90 Mem No: 13438

Post by VirginAtlantic »

I've reinstated the block breather (next to the oil cooler) up to the rocker cover breather terminal block. The KKK turbo is now at Turbo Dynamics awaiting diagnostics and report, in a bid to discover any potential issues with it!
Why does everything I "want" - scrub that, need - cost so much?

VirginAtlantic

Post by VirginAtlantic »

My Turbo has died waste gate is beyond repair so I will need a new KKK K18 turbo for my engine!!!! what options are there for a turbo on the JX engine? were all the turbo's the same spec on the vans or did KKK make amendments in the years of manufacture?

MGP

Post by MGP »

Im currently in the same boat my k14 is very dead and looking at new turbos it would seem that all of the k14's are interchangeable it looks as though vw changed the part number a few times but the new part number supercedes the old one although i may be wrong. These turbos are very expensive considering they are such old tech, im currently looking at a way to fit a much newer and cheaper turbo that will also help cool the engine.
'89 1.9td AAZ engine

VirginAtlantic

Post by VirginAtlantic »

I've just bought a brand new KKK apparently a limited run JX turbo from Germany for £350 + £20 postage he had 30 units for sale and only down to just 6 units.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390754123264? ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Turbo dynamics telephoned me this morning and gave me the bad news, waste gate was jammed in the open position and oil pouring out of the compressor inlet and exhaust outlet. Deeming it beyond economic repair.

I weighed up new against 2nd hand, no brainer £350 for a new turbo !!!! just waiting for it to arrive!!

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Good info on those new K14s

Have you also checked the oil dipstick calibration? Abs. critical...
The combined gasket splash plate (windage tray) afds another few mm to turbo drain height.

A good anti-surge baffle setup around the oil pickup helps (minimise oil level without surge.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

MGP wrote:My jx didn't when i got it just had a plate bolted over the hole, it looked factory.

Correct, the JX didn't have a breather pipe from the side the of block to the puck on the valve cover. Some have speculated this was because, as a solid-lifter engine, there was a lower oil flow into the head, therefore less contention with gases venting from the block in the drain passage in the head. Thus there was no benefit in the additional breather and it was omitted to reduce cost/complexity.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

VirginAtlantic

Post by VirginAtlantic »

I've got the kit, just waiting for first light to get out and play. I've cut a deal with the wife told her I'll work on the downstairs toilet but she forgot to secure which job I can do first !!!!

oh I hope its dry tomorrow morning.

Funbus
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Funbus »

Hi dubbers,
I thought this thread was long gone. Since I started this thread I've done 1800 miles with no problems however I think my engine could run better so I've a few jobs planned-
Brickwerks oil cooler
DIY inter cooler, probably going to be plumbed in near the gearbox
Breather on block to Oil catch tank mounted near coolant header tank to try and get rid of crankcase pressure issues. It's pushing oil out of the dipstick tube.
Get my vdo oil temp and oil pressure gauges wired in. Ive got the dual sensor for the oil temp gauge off ebay.

What are the gauges that you have purchased virginatlantic?

Cheers

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

OK:
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

VirginAtlantic

Post by VirginAtlantic »

On Saturday I had a lovely time lying under the Westfalia running a wire from the oil temp sensor and a turbo boost pipe from the inlet manifold up to the dashboard. Only to discover the fuel tank has corroded on top :roll: . Condensation has worked its magic on the top of the tank.

turbo & Oil temp sensors and pod I bought from brickwerks the boost pipe came from china only 6.85p and oil temp sensor was an ebay purchase for a fiver.

Funbus I put my intercooler by the gearbox as you are suggesting yourself.

Funbus
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Funbus »

That looks smart. Did you notice much difference with temps/performance?
I'm debating cutting the left rear battery tray out from behind the light cluster. Laying a cooler down in there with a fan on top. Air would be drawn into the standard vent, down through the cooler and out behind the rear wheel.

Are they vdo gauges and have you got the sensors to match. I struggled to get an oil temp sensor with the same temp range as the gauge.

Always a project ongoing.

MGP

Post by MGP »

I put my intercooler behind the n/s light. I used a Mitsubishi pajero intercooler, they are slightly to big but as i had some rust in there to deal with i made the box bigger. To get good air flow in this area you will need to direct the air to the back of the van where the air pressure is low. Next time i am near my van i will get some pictures for you.
'89 1.9td AAZ engine