Where is this damn oil coming from....

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

deeja

Where is this damn oil coming from....

Post by deeja »

I replaced my 1.6TD with the 1.9AAZ some time ago and I've had constant battles with leaking oil. Initially I thought it was the rocker cover gasket, which I've changed but the drips continue.

After reading around, I realised that that when the engine was changed, the company that did it did not recalibrated the dip stick, so it was taking over 5 litres to get past the min and I believe should only need 4 1/2 (is this correct?), which I guess is only going to cause problems . I've since drained the oil and added exactly 4 1/2 litres, but the drips continue.

I've now noticed oil leaking from the connection to the silencer box on the exhaust, which I've read may suggest the seals on the turbo are at fault? I'm also still getting oil running from higher up near the exhaust manifold and around the turbo - could it all be a linked problem?

The breather on the top of the rocker cover is clear.

I cleaned up the engine, ran it for a few mins and took some pics which I've attached below. Before I go an buy a recon turbo for lots of ££, I'd appreciate a second opinion. The leak doesnt look too bad on the pictures, but its only because I cleaned up the engine first - after a few hours I've got oil everywhere.

Cheers
D

IMG_5112_small.resized.JPG
(96.8 KiB) Downloaded 2918 times

IMG_5124_small.resized.JPG
(108.95 KiB) Downloaded 2918 times
This is were most of the oil runs down

IMG_5127_small.resized.JPG
(136.06 KiB) Downloaded 2918 times

Cheers
D

sciroccotune
80-90 Mem No: 7521

Re: Where is this damn oil coming from....

Post by sciroccotune »

If you drained the oil and did not put a new filter on you will still have to much oil in the engine. In fact even when replacing the filter it's takes ages to get all the oil out.

You may also need to clean out the oil separator if it's been full of oil

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

4 litres without new filter, 4.3 litres with new filter.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

deeja

Post by deeja »

I did change the filter when I changed the oil - If it should be 4.3, I've still got a tad too much in then

123-jn
80-90 Mem No: 12161

Post by 123-jn »

You will always get some oil making its way past the separator down the breather pipe and into the intake before the turbo but not usually that much!!! Check the level then have a careful look at the turbo ? Is the majority of the oil after the turbo in the intake manifold and cylinders or is it similar amounts before and after?. If its more after then it could be turbo seals but if its pretty much all the way through from breather onwards then you can try disconnecting the breather from the inlet and popping the end into a plastic bottle. Take her for a run and see if you have collected some. If you have, suspect too much crankcase blow by and thus maybe piston rings are a bit past it. If nothing collected then turbo is a likely culprit. This can be dangerous as if too much oil gets into the intake the engine can rev up past its limit (running on the oil as well as diesel) then it could destroy its-self!!
123-jn Autohomes Komet 2.1 DJ AUTO 1989 (closed loop LPG pierburg 2E3)
- Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

123-jn wrote:You will always get some oil making its way past the separator down the breather pipe and into the intake before the turbo but not usually that much!!! Check the level then have a careful look at the turbo ? Is the majority of the oil after the turbo in the intake manifold and cylinders or is it similar amounts before and after?. If its more after then it could be turbo seals but if its pretty much all the way through from breather onwards then you can try disconnecting the breather from the inlet and popping the end into a plastic bottle. Take her for a run and see if you have collected some. If you have, suspect too much crankcase blow by and thus maybe piston rings are a bit past it. If nothing collected then turbo is a likely culprit. This can be dangerous as if too much oil gets into the intake the engine can rev up past its limit (running on the oil as well as diesel) then it could destroy its-self!!

Sound advice regarding the turbo over revving the engine. Meow ever, it'll not destruct the engine because...........put it in top gear and stall it. If it's an auto box, walk away to a safe distance and watch/listen to the ensuing excitement!!!
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

All good sound advice and of course double check rear of rocker box gasket. All but new turbos will let a little past brg seals and being so low will not drain well in to sump. Wiki has instructions on shortening dipstick sleeve so oil level (correct) is about on first mark (min)
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

rsxsr

Post by rsxsr »

Hello, Did you use any sealer on the VC cover gasket? Unlike the 1.6, the 1.9 has hydraulic lifters. There is a lot more oil in the valve cover running down the highway. As well, with the engine laid over at 50 degrees, the main oil return to the pan is out of service. So what happens is the overall oil level in the head can get above the seam where the cover meets the head on the low side, which it was not really designed for.

On a recent Tiico install which has a valve cover similar to the 1.6 diesel, I used a film of sealer on both sides of the gasket, just to ensure it sealed. It had been leaking a lot. With the 1.6 you had to check the valve adjustment every 15K miles, so a glued gasket was a mess to deal with. A hydraulic valve head should go years before the cover needs to come off.

Disclaimer: I have actually no experience getting the 1.9 cover to seal. Since it only has 3 central hold downs and it made from stamped sheet metal, I can see why it might be problematic getting it sealed.

bamboo
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by bamboo »

These pics show what was a cause of oil loss on my T25 2L air cooled.
What makes a gasket change shape so?
Attachments
Gasket creep.
Gasket creep.
Gasket.jpg (109.15 KiB) Viewed 5534 times

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Pressure and heat... ?
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1